August 9, 2014

Saturday Quotes Day - Now A Meme!

I love collecting quotes from the books I read.
I've turned this into a meme so you can share your quotes, too.
Add your post with your favorite book quotes from your reading this week to the
Mr. Linky at the bottom of this post!


from A Sudden Light by Garth Stein

"And, anyway, I believe in full disclosure. He's one of the family. I don't think secrets should be kept from children under the pretense it is for their own good. It isn't for their own good; it is for the convenience of the secret keepers."
 from Free Spirit: Growing Up on the Road and Off the Grid by Joshua Safran

"Watching them frolic in the water before me, I detected something familiar in their playfulness.  They were acting like children.  Which was weird because I felt like an adult." - pg. 59, talking about his mom and Bob
 from How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

"I read a lot of nineteenth-century literature. I once asked my mother what my trousseau would be, upon someone taking my hand in marriage.  She laughed hysterically. 'There's a pair of curtains in a bin-bag in the loft you're welcome to,' she said, wiping the tears from her eyes."

"I can write, because writing - unlike choreography, architecture, or conquering kingdoms- is a thing you can do when you're lonely and poor, and have no infrastructure, i.e., a ballet troupe or some cannons. Poor people can write. It's one of the few things poverty, and lack of connections, cannot stop you doing." 



from Lies Told in Silence by M. K. Tod

"Germany's intentions.  The words spread like a dark cloud preceding a storm, and the pit of her stomach quivered."

"Helene's attention was drawn to three paintings set along one wall, each painting a vibrant mass of unstructured color.  
'Tante Camille enjoyed unusual art,' Papa said. 
'And their artists,' Grandmere said. 
'Maman! The children,' her father said."





from But Enough About You: Essays by Christopher Buckley

"My wife, in her wisdom, decreed that we must have a fish tank in our bathroom. Like Rumpole of the Bailey, I refer to my darling as She Who Must Be Obeyed. So the only answer was "Darling, what an excellent idea. I am so excited to have fish in our bathroom." I did not utter aloud the next sentence that formed in my mind: 'How convenient for flushing them down the toilet after they have lived to the ripe old age of forty-eight hours."





from Jane Austen's First Love by Syrie James

"...for I dreamt of three things in life: doing something useful, writing something worthy, and falling in love..."










from The Seventh Cup by Nitesh Jain

“Tell me something, Verona.”
“Yes?”
“Where did you learn this art of laughter?”
“Really, you think it is an art?”
“Yes, your laughter is magical. It intoxicates the atmosphere.”








from People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

First sentence awesomeness: 
"I might as well say, right from the jump: it wasn't my usual kind of job."

"You have to understand. It is as I was just saying. We did not believe in the war. Our leader had said, 'It takes two sides to have a war, and we will not fight.'  Not here, not in our precious Sarajevo, our idealistic Olympic city. We were too intelligent, too cynical for war. Of course, you don't have to be stupid and primitive to die a stupid, primitive death. We know that now."





Want to participate?  Link up here! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!