August 11, 2014

Free Spirit: Growing Up on the Road and Off the Grid by Joshua Safran


I tried, I really tried. I gave it 90 pages. I really wanted to like it.  I thought- a life on the road - how spontaneous and exciting and epic an adventure.  

So how does Safran take a life as varied and interesting as his and make it boring, talking about every single event ad nauseam?  It's a special talent, I think. 

He may not have a third eye like his mother wanted, but he has an infallible ability to put me to sleep.  

This book should not be called Free Spirit - that is suggestive of a free, wild, interesting personality.  That is Josh's mother.  Josh is more the steady, logical presence in the book, which really he had to be given his mother. But a free spirit he is not.  Just a kid following his mother like a nomad.  I just feel the title should reflect the point of view the story is told from.  Is that too much to ask?

I got this book from Beth and I know it was a DNF for her, as well.  Has anyone else had a chance to read this?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!