July 19, 2014

Saturday Quotes-Day


I love collecting quotes I like from the books I read.  


from Daughters of Absence: Transforming a Legacy of Loss, edited by Mindy Weisel (a collection of essays from the generation after the Holocaust survivors)


"There is an African belief that if you allow the name of one who has hurt your family into your body, it poisons your soul. All my life, I have refused to let German into my body, letting the language fall away instead of picking it up. I know I am cutting off the culture that would have been part mine under normal circumstances, had there been no war, no Nazis, no Communists."

"The first time my mother passed through Prague she had just turned fourteen and she didn't get off the train.  It was 1939, and the breath of the Nazis was so hot on my grandparents' necks that they had put their children on a children's refugee transport out of the country, flinging their three young daughters to the uncertain mercies of strangers in a faraway foreign country."

"And God said, "Send a tribe to "Noo Zeeland'!
No, I've changed my mind. Send two people.
And they shall be known as Ruthie and Solly
and their tribe shall be known as Ki-brews,
Kiwi Hebrews."



from We Were Liars by E. Lockhart  (Spoiler-FREE)

"For the old people in my family - Mummy, the aunties, Granddad - the accumulation of beautiful objects is a life goal.  Whoever dies with the most stuff wins.  Wins what? is what I'd like to know."

One that will make more sense to those who've read it:
"If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces."





from Goodnight June by Sarah Jio

"Can you imagine a world without bookstores?"

"But that's why reading is so wonderful,' I say, shaking my head. 'You're a participant."

"I want to remind you that there is a downside to every good thing.  Our challenge is to not let the bad corrupt the good."

"I remember something Ruby said to parents who claimed their children wouldn't read, and to bored-looking teenagers sulking through the door with their younger siblings: 'All it takes is one book."




from Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira


(in a letter to Kurt Cobain) 
"That's when he saw me.  He was turning to talk to someone. He went into slow motion. Our eyes met for a minute, before mine darted away. It felt like fireflies lighting under my skin. The thing is, when I looked back up, Sky was still looking. His eyes were like your voice -- keys to a place in me that could burst open."






from The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon

"Like everyone who imagines he's a hero, Max has a fatal flaw: he likes to tempt fate.  If not lashed tightly to the mast, he'll always cast himself overboard.  He's convinced he can swim, but he nearly drowns every time. After a while, though, he'll surface again and walk from the water unharmed. It's the rest of us trying to figure out what just happened."

"If there's something you really want in life- especially if it's something that scares you, or you think you don't deserve- you have to go after it and do it now. Or in not very long you'll be right: you won't deserve it."

"Words are living legends, swollen with significance.  We string them together to make stories, but they themselves are stories, encapsulating rich, runny histories."



What are your favorite quotes from this week?  Share in the comments or play along if you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!