Kathy says: Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you've encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, visit here to find out how.
I have been collecting words from the books I've been reading for a while now, with every good intention to participate in Kathy's meme, but never quite actually remembering to. Well, whatdoyaknow? I didn't forget today!
So here are some new-to-me words I've encountered lately.
1. moue -found in The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
"A pouting expression used to convey annoyance or distaste."
|Well, this has to be the cutest moue expression EVAH.|
2. obsequiousness - found in Moth & Spark by Anne Leonard
"Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree."
My main problem with words in Elizabeth is Missing is that I don't know the British slang. Healey is schooling me.
3. lino path - found in Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
"lino: abbreviation for linoleum"
|They were next to clothing racks in the mall, but I think you know|
what a linoleum floor looks like anyway.
4. majolica ware - found in Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
"decorated earthenware pottery with an opaque white glaze" Elizabeth collects it.
|Majolica Plate Collection|
5. larder - found in Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
"cupboard or pantry" In this case, it is a room, as Maud walks into it to hide from someone.
|Example of a larder|
Photo via Poppy-Lauren Vintage