June 21, 2014

Saturday Quoteday

I love finding parts of a book that are just speak to me and are just so quotable, so every week I am going to share my faves with you.  Here are some of my favorite quotes from my reading the past week:





from Goodnight June by Sarah Jio

"Ruby?"  I whisper into the air.  "Are you there?  Are you listening?  I want to rewrite my story, but what happens if I don't know how?"













from Daughters of Absence: Transforming a Legacy of Loss, edited by Mindy Weisel (a collection of essays from the generation after the Holocaust survivors)

"My very existence is a testimony to survival, and there has always been an undercurrent of striving to be strong and successful in my life (a trait I've seen in many children of survivors)."

"I know there are criminals who do ugly, horrible things every day.  But the Holocaust was the product of a whole criminal society, a society of people who were educated, literate, loved music, loved art, loved literature.  And look what they did with such efficiency, with so little evidence of guilt."





from The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon

"Words, I've come to learn, are pulleys through time.  Portals into other minds. Without words, what remains? Indecipherable customs. Strange rites. Blighted hearts. Without words, we're history's orphans. Our lives and thoughts erased."













from Reading Basquiat: Exploring Ambivalence in American Art by Jordana Moore Saggese

"I argue throughout this book that Basquiat's deliberate ambiguity and confusion in both language and image mirror his attempts to evade binaries-- primitive/modern, black/white, original/reproduction, signifier/signified, or conceptualist/expressionist-- in both his life and practice."










Any great quotes you want to share from your reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!