June 26, 2014

2014 New Year Resolutions Update - At the Halfway Mark!



This has been me lately, which explains why I've posted exactly..no times so far this week.  But hey at least it is because I'm reading and not because of a life crisis, right?  

So I skipped May in my updating where I am on my resolutions because, well, I forgot.  So hopefully that means I have twice as much to report.  Right?  *fingers crossed*


Okay, first things first.  Bookish Goals.

1. Read 75 books this year.  Dude, I am literally crushing this goal.  I have already read 51 books this year.  I'm thinking unless some unexpected aforementioned life crisis comes up, I will be batting 100 for the first time in years.  

2. Don't force myself to read books I'm not into.  For the most part I am DNF'ing anything that I procrastinate reading.  If I don't want to pick up the book, it's not a good sign.  One I am struggling with right now is A Burnable Book by Bruce Holsinger but I want to finish it because I got it from Michele of A Reader's Respite fame and I would like to talk to her about it.  It's not that it isn't interesting, it's just that it is slow. She informs me it will get better so I am still in there for now, hoping it is just because I haven't been in a hist fic mood as much lately.

3. No more than 1 review book a month.  Bahahahaha.  Sooo not meeting this goal. Not even a little bit.  


Okay, now on to Creative Goals.

1. Learn to knit.  Seriously.  I cannot do this.  I need professional help.

2. Write more.  I have some good children's book ideas going on.  I seem to be stuck trying to execute said ideas, but, hey, I have gotten somewhere at least.

3. More drawing and more crafty crafts.  I went through a creative block for the past month, but this week I broke through it - woohoo!  I am drawing some pictures requested by friends and then I am on to designing bookmarks.  I still haven't refinished the old chair.  Need to get on that.  I also have a project idea for my baby niece but it is a Christmas present so there's no immediate rush.

4. Learn guitar.  Or, in my case, ukulele.  I am picking out some chords and getting there finally.  I need to get it tuned though because it still sounds off and I don't have another instrument, like a piano, to base the chords off of.


Health Goals.

1. Graduate physical therapy.  That would require going to PT.  I was waiting until after the SI joint injections I had this month to go since my insurance only allows a certain number of PT appointments.  So I did call this week and make an appt. to come back in.

2. Walk at least a mile a week.  I'm not there on a weekly basis but I am walking half a mile a week consistently.  I am still in a lot of pain but the injections did help some.  

3. Yoga and stretching.  I have had to quit my yoga classes due to budgetary reasons and I am super bummed about it.  I love my yoga classes.  So I am stretching at the gym and at home, but I don't have a lot of space in one place to do stretching and yoga properly so it doesn't get done very well.  I need to maybe rearrange or something but I still don't know how to make enough room.

4. Dance again.  I used to dance all the time.  From dancing around the living room to taking salsa classes.  I've been in so much pain the last couple of years that walking was difficult and dancing impossible.  Now I am getting walking down, dancing can't be too far behind.  I can dance (gently I might add) for about 5-7 minutes before body parts feel like they are disintegrating, but that is progress!  And I will take it and run with it.

5. Eat healthier.  Now that I have had the SI joint injections I am able to cook more.  Before, I couldn't stand still for 1 minute.  Literally 60 seconds of standing would cause me to collapse in pain.  These days I am able to get up to about 8-10 minutes without needing to sit down.  I sit down if I can while the food cooks.  I try to constantly move so I am not standing in one place for too long.  I collapse after the cooking is over but at least I am able to do it.  Which means I am able to eat healthier.  Less microwave meals and delivery is always a good thing.

6. Give yourself a break.  Every time I start to feel better I end up going overboard.  It is such an unexpected feeling to feel good that I go all out.  However, that backfires and I end up having a flare-up.  So I am trying to pace myself.  Yes, I feel better since the injections, but if I start pushing too hard at the gym, for instance, I will go backwards in progress.  I have to remind myself all the time that my body does not work like other people's, or even like my body used to. I need to take pacing seriously and stop trying to compete with myself before I was sick and just compete with myself of last month.


How am I doing with my Self-imposed education goals?

1. Learning Spanish.  I was doing really well and then I don't know what happened.  I just kind of forgot to practice the last several weeks.  My Spanish books got buried under other books (imagine that) and I just pulled them out the other day.  I need to get back to it.  

2. Sign-Language.  I've re-learned the alphabet.  But that's about it, TBH.

3. Freelance Writing.  I've applied a bunch of places but it doesn't seem to be happening.  It disheartens me, which makes me feel like not blogging, too, so I've decided to let up for a while and just concentrate on the writing things I already have going, even if they don't pay the bills.

4. Meditation.  See, this is why it is good to re-visit your resolutions.  I haven't done this in, oh, forever.  


Relationship Goals

1. Call friends who live long-distance.  Talked to one of my BFF's, who lives 3 hours away, just last weekend, though she called me.  I need to call this week.  I keep trying to get up the nerve to call blogging friends, but since I am not a huge phone person it has been like talking someone afraid of heights into climbing a mountain to the top.

2. Remember to self-love, basically.  I am always trying to make sure everyone around me is good and happy and healthy and awesome.  But I need to make sure I am all of those things, too, or I am not going to do a good job of taking care of everyone else.  I have lived a long time with the belief that looking out for myself was selfish.  I gotta get over that.

3. Laugh. A lot.  Mission accomplished.  One of my BFF's, Ali, who I just reconnected with a couple of months ago, and I have been hanging out at least once a week and laughing hysterically.  It feels great.

4. Tell people I love them more often.  Hmm...I can't remember the last time I said this to someone.  Better remedy that this week.


And, last, but not least, the random list of resolutions that don't fit neatly elsewhere:

1. Cook More.  As I said above, I am doing this.  So yay!

2. Spend more time at the park.  I have been going with my friend Ali and her kids so I am there more often.  I need to go hang out there by myself some, too.  Just go for a walk or read a book by the lake.

3. Visit at least 2 museums.  Does the Natural Science Center count?  I think so.  So one down, one to go.  I want the other to be an art museum.

4. Paint your fingernails more often.  I haven't since April.  I have been desiring a clean look lately.  Maybe I can find a soft pink that won't deviate too far.  Or maybe I just need to paint them bright orange for sitting by the pool.  I think that's a good idea.

5. Try 7 new fun things this year.  I tried some new Egyptian foods at the Egyptian restaurant on Tuesday. Kabobs with special seasoning and calf liver on pitas.  Yep.  The liver wasn't bad, but an odd texture.  Chicken Schwarma is still my favorite food there, though.  I also tried out some new paints that you spray (not to be confused with aerosol spray paint) that I got from my friend Lynna's new art supply store.  I got 2 colors but I think I need some more.  So 2 down, 5 more fun things to go!  


What were your resolutions for 2014?  Are you still working on them or are they long forgotten?  Any other thoughts?  Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!