May 28, 2014

Expanding Blogging Horizons and Novella/Short Stories for Armchair BEA

Expanding Blogging Horizons

It took me several years of blogging before I wanted to branch out and do more.  Blogging was all the new I needed for years.  Then I began talking a few years ago with Tasha and Tif and we created Book Bloggers International, a blog about and for book bloggers.  We feature book bloggers and help them connect with one another.  We also provide blogging tips and have branched out into doing bookish/blogging theme months every other month.  It's a lot of fun and I love connecting everyone across the blogosphere.  

The next project I took on was creating the discussion group on G+, Book Bloggers Do It Better.  I created it for the same reason I created BBI- to create a more tight-knit community of book bloggers.  (Can you tell I love the community?!?)  I am really glad I went through with this project because I have learned so much from the bloggers there and I have become friends with some great people I might not have met otherwise!  People ask me why the group is on G+ because I really don't do anything on there other than the group, but I love the way G+ has groups formatted.  It is a lot more conducive to discussions than FB, in my personal opinion.  

The next project I am getting ready to take on is with Michele of A Reader's Respite and Lit Asylum.  We both read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.  (I just finished so my review will come after Armchair BEA.)  The main character, A.J., is a bookseller who loved short stories and he references several throughout his life and how these stories affected him at different times in his life.  We want to read all the short stories mentioned in the book.  So we are starting a Facebook book group to do so.  If you are interested, please let us know!


Novellas/Short Stories

Now most of the short stories that I have read and liked have been classics.  I am not sure why this is, though I want to find contemporary ones that I enjoy as well - so suggestions welcome!  

I am kind of a big fan of short stories because I have A.D.D. and short stories fit my attention span a bit better. ;)   But I am also impressed with the amount of information that can be packed into a short story without it seeming overwhelming (like an info dump) and the story still flowing.  The writers that can pull this off are few, but when they do I am blown away.  Here are a few of the short stories that have knocked me off my feet:

Edgar Allan Poe is my favorite.  
The Tell-Tale Heart 
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Cask of Amontillado
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Black Cat

A few more I have liked a lot:

Ambrose Bierce- A Resumed Identity
Charles Dickens - The Child's Story
Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Christmas Tree and the Wedding
F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (so much better than the movie)
O. Henry - The Last Leaf and The Gift of the Magi
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Eva is Inside Her Cat
Tennessee Williams - The Vengeance of Nitocris


Here is a collection of short stories that I really liked reading, too, called Fire and Forget.


Thank you for stopping by today!  I hope you are enjoying Armchair BEA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!