May 27, 2014

Author Interaction and More Than Just Words

My post is late today because I really had issues gathering my thoughts for the topics today.  I'm like that sometimes - lots of ideas but I can't get them out into coherent sentences.


Okay, first topic:

Author Interaction

I love interacting with authors, especially authors who are respectful of book bloggers.  Nothing is more annoying than authors just pretending they are into it so they don't seem snobbish.  We can tell the difference!  I have worked with some really incredible authors - historical romance author Christy English is one of my favorites.  She is so easy to work with and she is up for giveaways, interviews, guest posts, you name it.  And her books are great. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to Lenore Appelhans, who was a book blogger first and added an author hat to her repertoire.  I met her and she is just as sweet in person as she is online.  I love working with/getting to know indie authors, too.  And even though I've been doing this a while I still get a thrill and feel totally humbled when an author follows me on Twitter or comments on my blog.  I'm looking around like - who, me?  You are connecting with me?

One more thing is I will direct you to a post I made a couple months ago about an Author Event I went to and my adventures sitting down and discussing books with a few authors (and when I totally embarrassed myself with Hallie Ephron.)


More Than Just Words

So when is a book not just a book?   When it's a graphic novel or an audiobook!


I did not use to read graphic novels nor listen to audiobooks much, but since blogging, my mind has been opened.  (I didn't use to read a lot of stuff.  I was kind of a snob!)   

I am not a big fan of anime or manga or comics but I do like graphic novels.   Here are a couple I like:

991197
If you have not read this, do it NOW.  It will change your life.

15786110
Relish is such a cute read and a great intro into graphic novels.


9615347
Anya's Ghost is a fast-paced read and has a great spooky element.

Graphic Novels I want to try are:
Arab in America by Toufic El Rassi
Blankets by Craig Thompson
The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert
Cairo by Willow G. Wilson
Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro
A God Somewhere by John Arcudi



For me, a good narrator is essential to an audiobook.  I don't really like authors reading their own books because so many do not use inflection in their voices.  Yikes!  Another essential element is a book with good pacing.  It is easy for me to space out while actively reading so an audiobook needs to be even more intense because my mind will drift off otherwise.  I judge audiobooks pretty harshly I have to say. I've disliked more than I've liked.

With that said here are some audiobooks I can absolutely recommend:

You may remember I pointed out several flaws with
the book, but it was still a great audiobook.
I have nothing bad to say about this
story or the audiobook!  Love it.

I just got 2 audiobooks from the library this week to try, so hopefully they end up on the like list!  The first is And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, and I love his books so I'm thinking this will be a hit with me.  The second is My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares, which I've heard good things about. 

If you know an audiobook I might like, please recommend it in the comments!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!