April 13, 2014

TSS: What I've Been Up To & Resolutions Updates


In case you haven't yet noticed, I changed the name of my blog slightly, adding in the "I'm" at the beginning.  I actually had it that way for the first 2 months back in 2009 that I had this blog but then shortened it.  But then I noticed another blog had the same name, Lost in Books, so I switched it back. 

I started off in January doing these weekly, then I decided that was quickly becoming overkill and switched to once a month.  Hopefully this makes it a little more interesting for you!



What I'm Reading:

Books Completed This Past Month:
1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
2. The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
3. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
4. Forgotten Souls (Saving Angels #2) by Tiffany King
5. The Ascended (Saving Angels #3) by Tiffany King
6. The Library of Alexandria by Charles Rivers Editors
7. Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
8. Dark Eden by Chris Beckett
9. Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body by Jennie Marts
10. The Necromancer by P.M. Richter
11. Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life by Sir William Budge
12. The Book of Questions by Pablo Neruda
13. Burden (Bayou Bear Chronicles #1) by Lila Felix

DNF:
1. The Waking Engine by David Edison
2. Sin by Sharron Riddle

Books Reading Now:
For Review-
1. Fates by Lanie Bross
2. The Anatomy of Dreams by Chloe Benjamin
For Fun-
1. When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (my World Book Night pick!)
2. The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James
3. The Lost City of Z by David Grann
4. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (on audio)


Coming Up Next for Review:
1. Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters (For Project Gutenberg Project)
2. Why Your Weirdness is Wonderful: Embrace Your Quirks & Live Your Strengths by Laurie Wallin
3. The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon
4. Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
5. Alpha Goddess by Amalie Howard
6. Moon at Nine by Deborah Ellis
7. Adaptation by Malinda Lo
8. Skylark by Meagan Spooner (for review for Epic Recs, recommended by Kayla of Bibliophilia, Please)




What I'm Listening to:



1. Shakira - Empire
2. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (April 5th marked 20 years since Cobain died.  Hard to believe.)
3. Feist - Mushaboom
4. Vampire Weekend - Unbelievers
5. U2 - Invisible
6. Passenger - Scare Away the Dark
7. Tame Impala - Elephant
8. John Legend - All of Me (J & I have decided this is another song for our relationship soundtrack. Aww.)
9. American Authors - Best Day of My Life
10. Linkin Park - A Light That Never Comes
11. Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun (from the Into the Wild soundtrack)



What I'm Watching:

1. The final episodes of Raising Hope.  So sad it has been cancelled.  Such an underrated show.
2. House M.D. - binge watching on Netflix
3. Spaceballs - I know it is a modern classic comedy and all, but I didn't find it to be that funny.  Of course, slapstick is not exactly my sense of humor, either.
4. I Am Slave - "This drama inspired by true events follows Malia, a young Sudanese girl who is kidnapped and sold into slavery. After being sent to London to work for a diplomat's family, Malia dreams of freedom and learns to fight her powerful oppressors."  


5. Cirque de Soleil: Worlds Away - This is sort of a mash-up of a bunch of different shows.  The story revolves around a lonely, introspective young woman who sees a young man working at the circus and they have a moment while he is performing.  When he disappears into another world via the circus tent floor, she impulsively follows and she is on a quest to find him.  There are amazing artistic and acrobatic performances in a variety of fantastical worlds and situations.  It's gorgeous to look at and highly entertaining.  










1. Bookish:
~Read 75 books this year. I have finished 36 books this year.  I am reading MUCH faster than I did last year.  I'm thinking I need to bump my goal up to 100.  What do you all say?  Think I can make it at this rate?
~Don't force myself to read books I'm not into.  2 DNFs this month.  I think I am doing well with this goal.
~No more than 1 review book a month.  Failing.  Failing miserably.  But, to make myself feel better here, I AM still reading from my TBR pile - The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, The Lost City of Z, When I Was Puerto Rican, Forgive My Fins, the Saving Angels trilogy.  So...half a Yay?


2. Creative: 
~Learn to knit.  Still have no idea.
~Write more.  It was touch and go for a while, but I am writing more.  More blogging, plus I am currently re-writing popular songs with a bookish twist.
~Drawing and crafts.  I'm definitely drawing at least a couple of times every single week.  Need to get on the other crafts though.
~Learn guitar.  I haven't had the money to spend on new strings yet so nope haven't made a dent in this.


3. Health: 
(Note: I am in the process of getting nerve blocks in my lower spine and SI joints and will in a month or two have my nerves in those places severed.  This will take my pain down dramatically, fingers crossed!)
~Graduate from physical therapy.  Still in PT.  Working on it, though!
~Walk at least a mile a week.  This took a back seat for a while but my new strategy is to walk immediately after a massage.  It takes me 33 1/2 minutes and it still hurts very badly but I am able to do it!  
~Yoga and stretching.  I haven't been to a yoga class in probably a month.  I want to get back into it.  I have been stretching and doing some yoga at home, but it's not the same as the classes.
~Dance again.  Still not able to dance really.  I tried on a low-pain day a week or so ago to do my salsa dancing and could only go about 4 minutes before my hips began to have sharp pain.  Bah.  Still working on this!
~Eat healthier. This is one of those goals where I do really good, then I slip for weeks, then I am better.  Right now I am doing better.  I've lost 5 pounds (though that doesn't count really since I just gained them, also) and I am eating more salads and trying to eat out less.  I got into the habit of eating out so much thanks to not being able to stand long enough to cook anything.
~Give yourself a break.  I am being pretty hard on myself right now.  I need to remember I am disabled and cannot do everything and that it is okay.  Severing my nerve will help.  Just be patient, Becca!


4. Self-Education: 
~Spanish.  I was doing really well with this for a while but I seriously have not picked up a Spanish book in weeks.  Better get on it!
~Sign-Language.  I haven't even begun to re-learn this.  
~Freelance writing.  I have applied to 3 different websites, including Book Riot, to do freelance writing.  Waiting to hear back and also looking for more opportunities.  If you know of any, please send the info my way!
~Meditate for 6 minutes.  Yikes. I have not meditated in a while.  I will do it today.


5. Relationships: 
~Call friends who live long-distance.  Well, I've called the BFF a few times but she has not called back.  I am not too worried because we have a very laid back friendship.  Plus, she has a lot of health issues, too, so we don't always feel like talking.  I totally get it.
~Remember to take care of yourself first and the rest will fall into place.  I am the worst at this.  I worry about everyone else first.  I'm a work in progress.
~Laugh.  A lot.  John makes me laugh every day.  He has always said it is the meaning of his existence to make people laugh and he definitely fulfills it.  Plus, I am trying not to take life so seriously so that is helping me loosen up some, too.  I got way too serious the past couple of years.
~Tell people I love them more often.  I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

6: Random Resolutions: 
~Cook More.  I just cooked last night.  And I cooked a week ago when I had my 1st nerve block and was numb.  But I do want to cook more now that I am able to stand a little longer.
~Spend more time at the park.  I went for a walk a week or two ago at the Greenway which is a walking/biking trail that runs through the woods of Greensboro.  But now that it is warmer, I am anticipating a lot more park time.
~Visit at least 2 museums.  Hasn't happened yet.  Hopefully this summer.
~Paint your fingernails more often.  Twice this month!  I am a disaster at it and I have to clean polish off my fingers, but I enjoy having them done for a change. :)
~Try at least 7 new things this year.  I don't know if trying to embark on a new "career" of freelance writing qualifies or not.  Maybe once I actually do it, I can count it.   I think killing the nerves to my spinal joints should qualify, too, haha.  But I really want to try 7 new fun things, so maybe once I sever the nerve I can try 7 new fun things. :)


What have you been up to lately?  
How are you doing on your resolutions?
Any other thoughts?
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!