April 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Most Unique Books I've Read


Top Ten Tuesday is run by The Broke and the Bookish.


I haven't participated in Top Ten Tuesday in a while because, well, because I keep forgetting.  So YAY for remembering!

Today's Topic: The Most Unique Books I've Read

I thought about taking this down one genre road or another but decided instead to just lay out the top ten most interesting and unique books I've read period.

Let's see what I have come up with:



The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

I find this book unique because it takes place in the near future but it feels like a historical fiction.  It is set in a dystopian type environment yet there is magic.   There is royal intrigue and social justice issues.  A truly original heroine and secondary characters.  You can read me gushing about it more in my review here since I actually just posted it up yesterday!


The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist by Margarita Engle

This is a true story of a 13-year-old girl in Cuba who eventually grows up to become an abolitionist and it is all told in beautiful, lyrical verse.  I've never read another book like it. 


Cinder by Marissa Meyer

This story is jam-packed with stuff, but in a good way.  All at once it is: a Cinderella re-telling, it's sci-fi with human-cyborg-android relations, it's about people who live on the moon (lunar people) who are watching Earth's every move and waiting for a chance to strike and create intergalactic conflict, and it's about this deadly plague that is wreaking havoc all over New Beijing.  Unique, right?


Life of Pi by Yann Martel

A boy, a zebra, an orangutan, a hyena, and a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker are all that survive after a boat crashes on the way to Canada from India.  What happens in the 227 days it takes that boat to reach the coast of Mexico is....well, let's just say that what happens on the zoo boat should stay on the zoo boat. 


Frankenstein by Mary Shelley


When you think of this book in its proper context, this book was truly and remarkably unlike any other book in the world when it was written.  I mean, the first sci-fi novel ever?   Check.


Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Truly one of the weirdest books about ghosts I have ever read.  You will walk away wondering what the hell just happened.


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Never before have I encountered such a brutally honest story told with such exquisite language, poise, and compassion.  It made my own story feel validated.  I can't express how much I love this book and how much I need you to read it.


The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I know, I know.  Technically it is a short story.  But how often do you come across an idea as original as a man who ages backward?  If you've only seen the movie, it does the story zero justice.  Read it.


Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart Ass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

First memoir I read that wasn't gushing about how brilliant they were or how kind-hearted or how they turned an entire village's life around or how they found themselves in an ashram.  It's a brutally honest look at Lancaster's shortcomings, snark, and how she is just trying to do the best she can in life.  Rock on. 


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Lisbeth Salander.  Enough said.


Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

If you need to know how unique this book is, I feel bad for you son.
I got 99 problems, but not having read this book ain't one.


What's one of the most unique books you've ever read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!