April 11, 2014

British Isles Friday: Accents

British Isles Friday is a brand spankin' new feature created by Joy of Joy's Book Blog.   It is a weekly event for sharing all things British — reviews, photos, opinions, trip reports, guides, links, resources, personal stories, interviews, and research posts.   

When you read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies and TV shows set in Britain, but do not know a thing about British accents (like moi, for instance) then you might be sitting around like me thinking, is this a London accent?  Wales?   Yorkshire?  Liverpool?   I can tell the accent is slightly different from the fanciest accents that are usually given to those Downton Abbey upstairs folks and Rex Harrison's character in My Fair Lady, Professor Henry Higgins.  I can also identify the cockney accent of Eliza Doolittle.  And I am not so daft (see the British word I used there?)  that I can't tell when someone is from Ireland or Scotland.   

Enter this cool little video I discovered on Mashable.  In a minute and 25 seconds, the speaker covers the accents of the British Isles from the northern tip of Scotland to the southern tip of Cornwall.   Awesome!   







Now let's all collectively try out our new collection of British accent impersonations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!