March 15, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Mayer - Recommended to Me by Kayla of Bibliophilia, Please

Description:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review:
Marissa Meyer created a wonderful world in Cinder.  There is so much going on, too - a Cinderella re-telling, cyborg-human-android relations, slavery, a plague no one understands that kills within days of infection, a colony of human-aliens on the Moon complete with an evil psycho queen, I mean A LOT OF STUFF going on.  This is not a bad thing, though, because Meyer can pull it off.  It never seems overwhelming.

My first impression of Cinder was - "Wait.  She can just take off and replace a body part when it hurts?!?  I want to be a cyborg!!!!"  LOL  


My eyes glazed over a little when the focus shifted more towards the technical science of cyborgs and androids. I tend to prefer sci-fi/fantasy books that focus on sociological and biological questions, which Cinder does well, too, I might add.  I just couldn't get into the technical specifics of the futuristic machines.  

I think this would have been a much more interesting book if I had not figured out everything within the first 100 pages.  Bah!  



That was truly disappointing.  I loved the end result, I just wish I could have ridden the ride a bit longer.

Overall though, there was good world-building and an interesting mixture of plots and subplots going on.  It was bursting with creativity, which I love.  I am glad Kayla introduced me to the world of Cinder. :)





“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy 
who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.” 



“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!