January 4, 2014

Thoughts & Quirks About Social Media

I find that I am particular sometimes.  Like when it comes to social media.  I feel like there should be ground rules written down somewhere: not everyone wants to see pictures of your dinner, 10 pictures of your baby per day are way too many so please don't upload 57, and you will be offended at some point, welcome to the internet.

I decided to quantify the things on the social media sites I use that I love and that irk me.  Share with me some of your own!


 Goodreads Likes & Dislikes:

I like people who add comments to their reading status updates.  Especially when they are funny or intuitive. I also just like seeing what you are reading and how you are enjoying it!

I dislike being invited to an event 6 times a day every day.  
I’m not joining.  Leave me alone on Goodreads.


Facebook Likes & Dislikes:

I like people who comment thoughtfully on other people’s 
posts and who share funny, insightful, interesting, thought-provoking, and/or personal statuses.

I dislike people who only get on to share their own stuff and 
get attention and who don’t even attempt to interact with others outside of their own updates.  I know FB is for narcissists, but come on. 


Twitter Likes & Dislikes:

I like to follow people who not only share interesting tweets 
but also those who I can interact with and have conversations with as well.

I dislike following people who only re-tweet.  Re-tweets can 
be awesome- you share something you found that was cool and you are free advertising for the person whose status you liked.  However if all you do is re-tweet other people’s tweets, I will not follow you.  There are a couple of authors who do this and I had to unfollow them.  I kept wondering if they even wrote their own books if they can’t even come up with 140 characters worth of original thought?


Google+ Likes & Dislikes:

I am honestly not on here enough to comment.  I only go on for the Book Bloggers Discussion Group.  Like all the cool kids.  And yes I did just try to shame you into participation.  :)


Pinterest Likes & Dislikes:

I love following all the cool stuff you find on Pinterest. 

Except when you make me envious of all the stuff you’ve made via Pinterest.  Stop that!  Stop that accomplishing! :) 


Instagram Likes & Dislikes:

I like following friends & people who share my interests. I am interested to see what book you are reading, what crazy thing your spouse/kid/pet did, and what you just saw someone at the Target do that will blow our minds. 

I dislike people who take uninteresting photographs and then think just because they put a fancy filter on them they are the new Ansel Adams.  You’re not.  It’s time someone told you. 


YouTube Likes & Dislikes:

I am rarely on YouTube but when I am, I like to watch music
videos, how-to videos, or my friends and favorite authors or bands do interesting web shows/vlogs.

If you are going to do vlogs on the regular, please don’t do the following:

-   -Talk in a monotone voice. 
-   -Be in shadows where I can’t even see you.  It’s a video. Visuals are a pre-req.
-   -Vlog the same thing over and over.  If you have a routine of vlogging your Mailbox Monday, that’s cool!  But I should be able to tell whether I moved on to the next week’s video or not, shouldn't I?  Change your location.  Change the inflection in your voice.  Say a little something extra.  Get creative.  Also, comb your hair.  I mean, seriously.


Tumblr Likes & Dislikes:


I don’t even fully understand Tumblr.  Therefore I have no thoughts on this.  Carry on.



What about you?  Have any quirks about your social media experience?

20 comments:

  1. I am relatively new to the community of social media and learning more every day. Every thing you mentioned, that I was aware of, I agreed with you. You also clarified some things I was questioning, i.e. why people post every little thing in their lives. I am most active with Google+ and blogging, which started as a result of me releasing my memoir a few months ago. Prior to that, I knew little to nothing about the entire network. So, thank you for the input. I am going to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have: goodreads, twitter (where I hang out the most), facebook (mainly to play games as it is spawn of the devil), librarything, wordpress, google+, youtube. All other places I ignore - I have just spent 90 mins on the computer playing with wordpress, google+, I dont need another timesuck! This year is to do MORE things, not LESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with almost all of your likes and dislikes, especially Goodreads. I didn't even know it was possible to be invited to an event (other than the random notification that Goodreads was hosting an author) until I starting getting invited to participate in other bloggers giveaways...no thank you, I don't need that through Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. I already see it on your blog, I don't need it on GR, too.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I find Goodreads to be overwhelming. That's why I never really do much of anything on there. I've already got all of my books listed on LibraryThing (which I like much better anyway), so it feels like extra work to me. Maybe I should give it another try, but I only have so much social media time in my life. As it is, I'm spreading it pretty thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about feeling spread pretty thin. It wasn't until I wrote this last night that I realized how many places I visit! I was tired just looking at the list! lol

      Delete
  5. I agree with most of this, although I probably seem quite Narcissistic on my blogs FB page. It's not that--it's just that I have Networked Blogs up to post links to my post and I never actually access that FB myself. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't started it and just invited people to follow my personal page instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind Networked Blogs chiming in with stuff for the blog at all! Mine does the same thing. I'm talking more about people who are literally on the site, typing up statuses, and don't bother to visit around. I have a cousin who does this and it irks me when she says she doesn't know what's going on with me. Um, how about focusing on someone else besides yourself for a change? Duh! lol

      Delete
  6. Great comments, Becca! I'm basically on all the networks you mentioned, in varying degrees, with the exception of Youtube (I use Youtube to watch stuff, but not as a social media network, so I don't do any commenting or liking when I'm on there). One of my bookish resolutions this year is to post more of my thoughts on Goodreads - in the past I would normally just rate a book but I realized I find it less than helpful when someone just rates a book without adding in some thoughts, so I'd like to start jotting down something about each book I rate, even though it might be just a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I am trying to be better about that on GR as well!

      Delete
  7. The only ones I really use are Goodreads and Facebook - agree with you 100% on those! I also hate posts that are virtual play by play reactions to some sporting event - if I wanted to know what was going on in the damn game, I would watch it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! And totally agree with all your likes and dislikes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, and happy to be a "cool kid". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on Twitter a lot less now than I used to be. It seems like the same convos over and over. I do hate it when people tell other people what not to tweet, though. You know what you can do if you find people's tweets annoying? UNFOLLOW THEM. Oh, I also hate it when people (esp authors) reply to everything by RTing the original tweet. Like they want to let everyone know how popular they are or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, Thank you for this post, at the same time this morning I saw your post to ask people to read Simon's blog. So it has been interesting contemplating all this about book blogging and social media. My thoughts about Goodreads, I read what interests me. If I happen to be interested in a book that they are reviewing I will read it. I don't stay on goodreads. I think I go on goodreads to know the books I have read. I have never understood twitter, and I don't think I ever will. I tried twice to understand how it works. It makes no sense to me. I see something and comment and I feel like I am intruding in the conversation. Because I feel like where is the start of the thread? Anyway I have given up on twitter. Then Pinterest, I used it for me. For mainly my books, If there is a certain book I loved that I post pictures of themes that represent the book. I have done my favorite book, The Golem and the Jinni. I have a board for our community read. I have done a new one each year. Google +, I have not really used it. I think I am going to start. Youtube I don't think of as social media. Mainly I used it for authors, and book events that have I may search about to see what the author has to say. I also use it watch old movies. Now Facebook, is my main culprit, If I didn't use it, I would not have gotten back on your book blogging group which I love. But, I love it because I can connect with all of my author friends. I only have three that I connect with and they are lovely to their readers. They share pictures that I would not normally see. Living in SC, in a small coastal town makes you feel more connected with the world. When I lived in NJ I probably wouldn't feel that it is necessary. But all the social media helps me feel connected with the book world. Especially You tube like I said, to watch a book event in NYC. Which in Myrtle Beach there are not any cultural events. Watching on social media a author book reading is wonderful. Because we don't get any of that in Myrtle Beach. We have a terrible indie book store that is prejudice about books that they think their customers want. Now, I have to stop rambling. After reading your post I think I am going to add a post on book blogging and social media. I may start a war and some enemies. But I think it needs to be said. Thanks Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises
    British sme

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!