January 27, 2014

Review #3: Will O' the Wisp by Tom Hammock





Will O' the Wisp

Synopsis via Goodreads:

After her parents' accidental death by mushroom poisoning, young Aurora Grimeon is sent to live with her estranged grandfather on Ossuary Isle, deep in the southern swamps.  Joined by her grandfather's pet raccoon Missy, Aurora explores the fog-covered island of graves. Along the way she meets its sinister residents who care for the tombstones and mausoleums, living out their lives by the strange rules of Hoodoo magic. When ghostly things start happening out in the swamp and island residents start disappearing, Aurora thrusts herself into the middle of the mystery, uncovering secrets that might be better left buried.




Thoughts: 

I wanted to like this graphic novel more than I did, but it wasn't bad. Just not as good as it could have been.  

The subject of hoodoo and the plot itself were excellent, but the execution left me disappointed.  There were absolutely no transitions, visual or linguistic, so the story seemed to jump without warning and it is easy to get lost for a moment.  

The illustrations were equally beautiful and eerie with good details in the faces.  I felt transported to the setting and the culture.  I really liked the idea behind the story, too, and the characters were believable and Aurora was relatable.  I just wish the story had managed to keep me wanting more instead of waiting for it to get to the end already. 



NOTE: This is not a graphic novel for the young.  Possibly not even young teens, depending on their squeamishness. There are a lot of dead bodies in the drawings and the explanations of science and hoodoo can get complicated.  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know. I was bummed. I think it just was confusing for me. You might be able to follow along better, who knows.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!