January 1, 2014

New Year Resolutions 2014




HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

What did you do to ring in the new year last night?
I didn't feel like going out and doing the usual, expected party scene so I curled up in a chair with a blanket and a book, lit a candle, and read all night.  Just the right way to bring in a new year if you ask me. :)

It's that time of year to make resolutions, most of which (if any) we won't keep.  But this year I am determined there will be more accomplishments than failures!  2013 kind of sucked for me so 2014 HAS to be an improvement, right?  Right? 


BOOKISH RESOLUTIONS:

1. Read at least 75 books.  That was my goal this year and I fell 5 short.  
2. Don't force self to read books I'm just not that into.  There are too many books and not enough time to waste time on books that don't make me excited to pick them up each day.  
3. No more than 1 review book a month.  No review books would be preferable but I find that an unlikely goal to achieve since I have friends I will probably want to help out and there's always 2 or 3 that reel you in.  But I want the bulk of my books to be from my TBR pile.  It has got to be tamed!


CREATIVE RESOLUTIONS:

1. Learn to knit.  Finally.  Do whatever you have to do. Stalk someone who knows how and make them teach you.  Take a class.  Whatever.  The You Tube videos are not working.  You need help, girl.  
2. Write more.  I don't care what.  Just do it.
3. Draw more.  More painting pottery.  Scrapbook.  Restore that old chair.  Just do more crafts period.
4. Play piano again.  Learn guitar (well, ukulele since that's what I have for my short stubby arms, ha!). 


HEALTH RESOLUTIONS:

1. Graduate from physical therapy.
2. Walk at least a mile a week, and then increase as your ankle and back improve from physical therapy.
3. Continue to do daily yoga and stretching.  Go to a yoga class once a week as money allows.
4. Once you are able to without pain, begin to dance again.  It makes you happy.
5. Eat healthier.  Low-carb, gluten-free, paleo diet.  This will help you lose the weight as you still work toward being able to exercise.  Also, quit the sodas!  Or at least cut way back.
6. Give yourself a break.  You aren't going to be able to do what you used to do before you got sick and your spine collapsed.  Just do a little everyday and be proud of that.


SELF-EDUCATION RESOLUTIONS:


1. Re-learn the Spanish you've already forgotten and be able to speak conversational Spanish.
2. Re-learn the basic sign language that you've forgotten.
3. Learn more about freelance writing and the market.
4. Be able to meditate for 6 minutes.  Trust me, this is a challenge.  I can't get past 90 seconds right now before I'm itching to do something.


RELATIONSHIPS RESOLUTIONS:

1. Call friends who live long-distance at least once a month.  Stop avoiding the phone!  
2. Remember to take care of yourself first and the rest will fall into place.
3. Laugh.  A lot.
4. Tell the people I love that I love them more often.


RANDOM RESOLUTIONS:

1. Cook more.
2. Spend more time at the park.
3. Visit at least 2 museums.
4. Paint your fingernails more often.
5. Try at least 7 new things this year.


This seems like a lot but it really isn't when you consider my only "job" (for now) is getting healthy and postponing major surgeries on my back and ankle, and I have no kids. 

So, what are your goals for 2014?  

15 comments:

  1. Those all look good, Becca. I kept mine a little bit simpler this year than previous years, but I think all of yours look more than doable...and IF you fail at some, that's okay too. You're still working toward becoming a finished person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bryan :) That's a great way to look at it.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of trying 7 new things this year. I think I will add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love trying new things and I feel like in 2013 I was pretty stuck in a rut. Time to bust out of it! Love to know what you try!

      Delete
  3. These are so admirable. Hope you'll rock any or all of those goals!

    Tanya Patrice
    GIrlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, touch base with me at my e-mail or blog to say how your health is faring. I was dissatisfied with 2013 and was very pleased to welcome 2014 this day. May it be improved, safe, and happy for us all. God bless you, my dear.

    I'm launching 3 of my very own reading challenges February 1st and would love to have you and your other peers début it with me! One has colours in it, so that is a piece of cake for you. Sincerely, Carolyn. http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-reading-themes/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your goals - especially your health goals. My son struggles with pain so I have an idea of what you go through and I know it's not easy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I hope your son can find some relief with whatever he is going through. Pain sucks.

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of New Year's goals! I hope you're able to meet them all and that 2014 is amazing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I know. I hope to get most of them accomplished at the very least. I like to be ambitious. ;)

      Delete
  7. I really hope that the gluten-free thing helps you with your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you going to host the Colorful Reading Challenge again. I thought it was an interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list of resolutions!! (Yes, I'm way behind in reading blogs!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!