October 18, 2013

Book Reviews: Overwhelming Back Log

I don't know if you've noticed but I have been SUPER TERRIBLE at getting reviews written as of late.  I don’t know why but whenever I start trying to put my thoughts and feelings into coherent sentences, the coherent part goes AWOL. 

Okay, okay, so does the sentence part.

I have a serious backlog of reviews to be written for books I've read, spanning back to the beginning of summer. 



I know!  Yikes!  But I am going to try to get some knocked out in the next few weeks before the holidays come and I have my 2nd annual Holiday Post and Giveaway Extravaganza with all the coordinated guest posts and getting giveaways set up.  Which, actually, takes a while and I need to get started on as well....



Okay, no freaking out, Rebecca!  You can do this.  You can get it done!  You’re awesome!  It will be no big deal.  (Why yes, I AM giving myself a blogging pep talk.  Don’t judge.) 

Here are the books I have read already I need to review before the end of the year:

  • Candide by Voltaire
  • Drinking with Dead Drunks and Drinking with Dead Women Writers by Elaine Ambrose and A.K. Turner
  • The Olive Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • Hetaera: Daughter of the Gods by J.A. Coffey
  • The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd
  • Outrageous Acts & Everyday Rebellions by Gloria Steinem
  • Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl (along with movie review)
  • Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall
  • How to Tame a Willful Wife by Christy English
  • Oh Gad! By Joanne C. Hillhouse
  • Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me by Chelsea Handler


And this isn't even taking into account I have more to add that I am reading currently and that I will be reading before the end of the year.  I have 3-4 publisher/author requested books still to read plus trying to finish up as many reading challenges as I can.  I like having those goals though this year I am cutting it seriously close. 

So time to get my bootie in gear and get some reviews written! 
So I can look like this: 





What about you?  Do you have a backlog of reviews or something else that you need to get done on your blog?  

19 comments:

  1. Good luck - you can do it! You can get them all written AND scheduled before the end of the year :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya, for the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  2. When I started blogging I couldn't understand why people had backlogs. I figured, you read a book and then write about it. Ha! It didn't take me long to have a backlog of my own. I almost always have one anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know, right? At some point I usually catch up, especially during reading slumps, but inevitably it goes haywire again.

      Delete
  3. I almost always have a backlog too!! You are not alone!! I'm trying to get all caught up next week. I think your goal is much more realistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because I am writing so much on my novel that writing book reviews seems like I'm not taking a break from writing the novel and so I do something non-writing-related instead and the book reviews are still waiting.

      Delete
  4. I had a backlog for the longest time I kept struggling with. What I'm doing now is I made up a template for reviews in Microsoft word, and then I printed a bunch of them. When I finish the book I put the title at the top of the review page. When Im in the mood to review Ive been knocking out several at once. Found this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG What a great idea, Erin! You should do a post about this and save everyone's lives. lol

      Delete
  5. One review at a time, Becca - one at a time. oh, and me too. I'm way behind though luckily I have no requests to catch up on. :)

    BTW - what movie/show is that dancing clip from? Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mardel! And the dancing clip is from the TV show True Blood!

      Delete
  6. I'm pretty good at staying up to date on my reviews but my review archive is at least 3 months out of date (and probably more like 5)-I'd like to get that updated by the end of the year and then be on a schedule to update weekly or monthly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful. I bet I would never adhere to something like that. I can dream, though, can't I? lol

      Delete
  7. Since I got back from Vegas I've been needing to write reviews and can't work up the motivation. Oh well, it'll happen when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good attitude. You will get back in the mojo I know it. My excuse is that I am writing so much in my novel that writing book reviews seems like overkill on the writing and I choose something non-writing-related to do instead when I take breaks. Valid excuse? Maybe. But there the reviews sit. Staring at me.

      Delete
  8. I always have one....right now I'm posting as I feel like it, but I have a pile of books by my chair that I look at guiltily whenever I pass by. I want to blog about them....really I do! lol they were all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have thoughts on the books, there's no writer's block or anything, I just can't get in the mood to write more after working on my novel. Maybe once I get the first review in the log written, it will seem easier to crank more out.

      Delete
  9. Becca
    It happens; don’t be too hard on yourself. Been there. Sometimes apart from the time issues, what it is is having to review a book makes reading it feel like a chore instead of the fun adventure it’s supposed to be. Hope you get back into your groove soon but give yourself a break if you don’t. Thrilled to see my book on your list by the way…I’ll keep checking for your review; but no pressure, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been struggling with backlogs all year. I've been blogging for about 3 years, but now I suddenly go blank when I try to write a review. Every time I decide I'm going to get it done, I write a first sentence, throw it away and try again. I do this half a dozen times then give up and the backlog gets bigger. Nothing sounds good enough anymore when I read it back. Maybe this is a normal stage in blogging? It's getting frustrating. Hope you have better luck with your backlog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also remember that you don't HAVE to review everything you read, although it does sound like you'd like to.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!