August 18, 2013

Short n' Sweet Reviews






The Green Ticket is sort of a basic story about a college student named Alex who is excited to be on the cusp of adulthood until she becomes overwhelmed by how much everything - and everyone - is changing. The story is great for college students who are on that same cusp and have all of the confusing feelings that go with that.

However, there is not anything to the story that those of us not in that situation can relate to or enjoy about it. I didn't really care for Alex. March did nothing to set her apart from the thousands of other college juniors in the world. I was disappointed by this one.

Rating: 2 Stars









The Blue Fairy Book is a collection of 37 fairy tales taken from a variety of sources.  I have developed a fondness for fairy tales this year and have been trying to get my hands on as many as possible.  My favorites in this collection were: The Yellow Dwarf, Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp, The Tale of a Youth Who Set Out to Learn What Fear Was, The Bronze Ring, The Forty Thieves, The Goose Girl, and Hansel and Gretel.

This is the first collection of fairy tales and I believe I have The Olive Fairy Book on my e-reader, too.  More fairy tale reading in my future! :)

Rating: 3.5 Stars









Blue Violet is the 2013 Bronze Medalist for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror ebook at the Independent Publisher Book Awards.  Truly, there is enormous creativity behind the story of Ellie and Griffin and Alex and the idea of "Svatura".  It is a fresh approach to a paranormal story- not the same old vampires and werewolves and ghosts.  

With that being said, I wanted to like it more than I did.  I am unsure whether this is Twilight fan fiction or not because it certainly was an inspiration if nothing else.  I wanted Ellie to be a little deeper and I wish there had been a little more action.  It was heavier on the romance aspects, which I don't enjoy as much.  There were scenes in which nothing moved forward for pages and that has a tendency to grate on my nerves.  

Overall, though, I commend Owen for creating a fresh paranormal idea.

Rating: 2.5 stars











6 comments:

  1. I remember reading about all these different-colored fairy books-isn't there also like a pink one and a green one, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think any of those books are for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Me either. 2 of them weren't for me, either!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yea, no bueno, Tasha! I'm reading some good books now, though :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!