June 12, 2013

Review #27 : Love & Skate (Love & Skate #1) by Lila Felix


Goodreads Summary:

On the rink she’s tough, she’s a leader, she’s fast and she’s the epitome of a rebellious girl. But Nellie’s been hurt, only once, but it was enough to make her look at life through different eyes and off the rink she’s a timid girl who loves with no pretenses.

A long time ago Owen Black was betrayed by the girl he thought he loved and the guy he called his best friend. The anguish set off a domino effect of negativity in his life and he never has fully recovered. He meets Nellie Forrester and thinks he can let it go for her. 

But how can you love someone when the wounds from your past are still wide open?


Review:

This was a cute book and the characters were extremely likeable.  I wanted to know what happened to them next.  There is hardly any conflict in the story and there isn't much to keep you turning the pages unless you really happen to like the characters, as I did.  

The title is sort of a misnomer.  While Nellie is in fact a roller derby skater, there isn't much about it in the book other than she practices and goes to bouts and might end up with a black eye after.  I was hoping for a little more into the roller derby side of it but it was more there as a back story than any real chunk of the story.  It could have just as easily been called Love & College.

I like that Nellie is not your typical protagonist- she has blue hair (or green, or purple), she does roller derby, she goes to college, she works at an indie bookstore, and she can be a total hard ass when she is on the rink, but is actually pretty sweet off the rink.  Owen is not a typical guy either- he's a college student, too, but he's all tatted up with nipple rings and has a wonderful home life.

I would have preferred these two actually had a real college-age relationship, with you know, sex, but maybe Felix decided to do something a little different.  I won't begrudge her that since this IS a new adult title.  But yea not typical at all.  But that's part of the book's charm.

Overall, I am willing to read the second book in the series just because I liked both Nellie and Owen but it's going to have to get a lot more interesting or I'm going to put the book down and move on.  Some kind of conflict needs to happen to keep moving the story forward.





"This was making sure that if she was cold, I would warm her.  If she was in pain, I would ease her.  And if her heart ached, I would mend her.  Somehow the things that I could do for her were just the things that she needed.  She could've found them anywhere, but she chose to seek them in me." -Owen



This book qualifies for challenges:


1 comment:

  1. I really don't get roller derby so this book is probably not for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!