May 31, 2013

Playing Catch Up on Genre Topics: Genre Fiction, Literary Fiction, and Nonfiction


Hi, everyone!  I've been busy busy the past few days so I haven't posted since day 1 of Armchair BEA.  So, I want to play a bit of catch up but I promise it won't be 3x as long.  Because I wouldn't read that either! lol



So the first genre topic I missed was Genre Fiction.  I love Genre Fiction.  I don't feel all snobby and think that genre fiction does not equal literary fiction in merit.  A well-written book is a well-written book and a poorly written book is a poorly written book, no matter what category it is put in.


My favorite types of genre fiction are paranormal/light fantasy and historical fiction.  The ones I don't read really are horror, science fiction in an outer space setting, and I don't read romances that often but I am trying to branch out there.  The first four books are historical fiction and the second row is paranormal/fantasy:


The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist     Prisoner B-3087    The Constant Princess (The Tudor Court, #1)    The Heretic Queen

The Lightning Dreamer by Margarita Engle
Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz
The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran




Strangelets     The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)     Hera, Queen of Gods (Goddess Unbound, #1)     The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)


Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon
The Demon Lover by Juliet Daark
Hera, Queen of the Gods by T.D. Thomas
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins





The second genre topic I missed is Literary Fiction.  I define literary fiction as dealing with universal themes and being multilayered. I also gravitate toward books focusing on other cultures. Here are some of my favorite literary fiction novels:


     Beloved    Memoirs of a Geisha    The Writing on My Forehead


The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Writing on My Forehead by Nafisa Haji



Okay, now FINALLY! :) we get to today's topic, which is nonfiction.  I have found a lot of readers, especially in the blogosphere, shy away from nonfiction, but I am not one of them.  I love learning, which I can also do from fiction, but nonfiction is more straightforward.  There are also many nonfiction books that read like fiction and that is awesome, too.  I enjoy memoirs, travelogues, books about books, as well as history, education, health, politics, humor, essays, poetry, and psychology/sociology books.  So, yea, I guess you could say I like nonfiction. :D  Here are a few that have really resonated with me:


     The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World     No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels    The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs
No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels by Jay Dobyns
The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Lori Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt



10 comments:

  1. Hi fellow cheerleader :P

    I'm so behind that I don't think I deserve that title anymore :P

    I completely agree about the well written book . People are just snobby with the genres sometime. If you ever decide to read any urban fantasy (Something I don't see in your recs.) do try The Shadow Reader and Kate Daniels series

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I think anything in so-called genre fiction rises to literary fiction if it's well written. I would be a mess if I had to classify books and pick only one category or "place" for a book. I also like non-fiction, but I don't read a lot of it. I listen to some on Audible, mostly biographies. I'm in a current Revolutionary history phase since I moved to Virginia -- Jon Meachem and David McCullough. Prior to that I was stuck in a lay neuroscience phase. But I feel most comfortable in literary fiction. I feel I can bring some insight to those books that is just mine. I'm not a neuroscientist or a historian. I know something about journalism and literary criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Know It All made me laugh like a maniac ;) Jacobs has a great style. The Kaling was great too. If you haven't read Tina Fey's latest I'd bet you'd like that one a lot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for genre fiction! I'm a big fan of those kinds of books and I always bristle when people look down their noses at it. I think you are exactly right when you say: "A well-written book is a well-written book and a poorly written book is a poorly written book."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and happy Armchair BEA to you :) I have to agree with you that non-fiction is great because you can learn so much from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greeting! I usually shy away from non-fiction but you guys (armchair bea buddies) are making me see the light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also adore narrative non-fiction :) Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a lifelong learner and love nonfic books.
    A lot of variety available - just need more time for the reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't have any time to post last year when I was cheering either! It's a lot of work, but fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great titles! thanks for sharing your recommendations

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!