April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book



Today's list is about the words/topics that instantly make me pick up a book to read it.  It has actually taken me all afternoon to put this together because it was hard to figure out how to categorize them in the most efficient manner so that I got in everything I wanted, but also emphasizing the importance of each topic!  Whew! 

Here's what I came up with--

1. India setting
I LOVE India, in case you didn't know. ;)  I love the place and the people.  
I first got into it thanks to my now brother-in-law who is from Pune, just outside of Mumbai.  
Examples are:


2. World Literature
Besides India, I really love books about South Asia and really anywhere.  I am fascinated with other cultures, which is why I began the infamous 
Take Me Away feature.  
Examples of World Lit I would pick up:


3. Ancient Egypt/Egyptology
I find this fascinating.  I will watch just about any documentary on Egypt.  I love learning about Nefertiti and Cleopatra and Isis and all of the political intrigue and religious elements tied into it.  
Examples are:


4. Other Historical Fiction
I enjoy historical fiction in general.  I am especially drawn to the Tudor era of England, Ireland, Japan, the Deep South, Austenesque books, and 


5. Paranormal/Fantasy Elements
Vampires, angels, shape-shifters, mind-readers, fairies, mythology, etc.
Examples are:


6. Graphic Novels on Serious Issues or Classic Literature
Graphic Novels are a relatively new addition to my reading repetoire.  I don't like "comics", per se.  I don't read Spider-Man or X-Men.  I like chunky stories told in the graphic style.  
Examples are


7. Fairy Tale Retellings
This is a relatively new trend and I hope it doesn't get played out like the vampire v. werewolf idea I mentioned above.  Fairy tales are pretty much standard American little girl fare and now that the stories are re-told to be less "happily ever after for no reason" and more "moral codes" and "crazy twists", I am liking them a lot more.
Examples are


8. Dystopian/Post-Apocalypse/Afterlife
Yes, I still enjoy this!  I became Orwellian obsessed at an early age, I can't help it. :)  
Examples are:


9. Strong Female Characters
I am so sick to the point of murder of girls with no backbone or personalities of their own, particularly in the YA genre.  Twilight is my go-to example of this anti-female junk, though there are others.  I much prefer female characters who know who they are and are not afraid to risk humiliation, death, being ostracized, or anything else just to get a man to pay attention to her.  Or if it is about a man, she at least develops the backbone, character, wit, and intelligence that shows she will be just as fine without him around, too.  
Examples are:


10. Books about Books  
How can I not love these?  Is there a book lover who doesn't love to read books about the very thing she loves?  Because I would love an explanation as to why not.  These things rock!
Examples are:


What topics make your instant picks list?

12 comments:

  1. I love strong female characters too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you've read Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck, but I found that book really interesting because the setting was so different from a lot of books that I've read. There is a lot of Indian mythology in that series.

    In my novels class in high school, we had to read a graphic novel and I read Pride and Prejudice (Marvel) and found it really interesting. Since I was able to understand that, I finally read the novel Pride and Prejudice. I'd started it so many times before, but never got around to finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I don't know that one.

      Delete
  3. Go you! This is a great Top Ten Tuesday post! I agree with you on so many of these topics. Especially serious graphic novels and fairytale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a hard list to compile! I think mine are time travel, true love or love at first site, young love, archaeology/Egyptology, witches, vampires, and books about books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you had to put true love in there! I'm surprised you didn't add "art history" or something.

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of these too-especially fairy tale retellings, which is possibly my number one want in books! Cannot get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like books set in the ancient Egypt too! Nefertiti <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh, great list!!! Personally, I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings, dystopian, and world lit, too! I also have become a huge fan of graphic novels as well and have discovered some really great ones!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!