April 11, 2013

Sexy Feminism- Not Your Mother's Feminism! (Review #17)

That's what it said.  Not your Mother's Feminism.

I wouldn't know.  I don't know much about what feminism is supposed to be.  I knew why feminism started with women advocating equal rights with men.  But before I read this book, all I suspected about modern feminists was that they were either uptight and hated men (I have met a feminist like that) and I thought an anti-feminist was the woman who was all consumed with getting married and having children.  I never wanted to be called a "feminist" because I hate being labeled and pigeon-holed into a certain judgements by others.  It still has such negative connotations   I mean, I know, obvs, since I just said I thought of it in negative terms.

However, Armstrong and Rudolph show me that these negative ideas are not (necessarily) the truth and that there is a brand of feminism that none of the old waves of feminism have melted together the ideas of sexy and strong so nicely as this.  The duo even hands over some tools to help the new feminist figure out how they might be feminist without knowing it, and also how to incorporate feminism into your life without giving up what makes you you.

The only problem I found was that the book sometimes got repetitive in places and I would think, didn't they already cover this?  I couldn't quite tell if this repetition was for the purpose of driving the point home, or if it was unintentional.  It seemed random enough to be unintentional.  But I suggest you read the book and see what you think of their new brand of feminism for yourself.  Or seek them out at their website, SexyFeminist.com.


Quotes:

"Remember that people in other parts of the world are risking their lives to save girls and women from forced genital mutilation.  We owe it to them as much as to ourselves to respect our bodies."

"These items (nail polish, lip gloss, eye-shadow palettes, etc.) have become our favorite accessories, and with them we can paint our own identities and assert our uniqueness.  They allow us to express our internal selves to the world just the way we want to or change the way people see us with the stroke of an eyeliner pencil.  Just ask trans women, many of whom have mastered this easy, accessible method of self-expression."

"The media is, overall, of little help.  When commentators are not warning about feminism's detrimental effects on marriage or women's ticking-time-bomb biological clocks, they're offering up some of the most offensive 'solutions' to those 'problems' possible."

"Whether you die for your miniskirts or prefer the comfy slacks of Lands' End, you are being fashion-feminist if you are defining your own sense of style."

"One thing we can do in our everyday lives, however, is help one another out and up as much as possible."

"We're not saying we should be out to make men miserable or that we should avoid ever pleasing any male creatures with any aspects of our sexuality.  We're saying that we can't make everything just about them."






2 comments:

  1. I found this book super simplistic and repetitive as a proud feminist but one who needs to be more versed in classic feminist literature. I do hope this book can bring more people to learn about feminism, which at its core is about treating people equally and not discriminating based on sex or gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never considered myself a feminist until I started learning about what it really was. I heard a quote somewhere -- I don't know who said it -- that "feminism is the radical idea that women are human beings." I think being recognized as worthy of rights and respect because we're HUMAN, not because we are women, is the end goal of feminism.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!