April 25, 2013

Book Lists: A to Z - "D"


Today's Book List Letter is "D".  The topic is People with Disabilities
I love reading about people with disabilities because a) I am a person with a disability, b) I studied Specialized Education in college, and c) books about people with disabilities make for interesting reads!


Here are some to get you started:

The Story of Beautiful Girl



Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's


Still Alice



Mockingbird



The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death



Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic



My Left Foot



The Child Who Never Grew: A Memoir 



Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot



Aidan's Way: The Story of a Boy's Life and a Father's Journey



Where Is the Mango Princess?: A Journey Back From Brain Injury



The Broken Cord



Riding the Bus with My Sister: A True Life Journey




Deaf Like Me



The Body Broken: A Memoir




Have you read any of these books?  What did you think?
Would you like to recommend a book about people with disabilities?  
Comment below!

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't read any on your list! I would add Lottery by Patricia Wood - it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The Story of Beautiful Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I've read is Riding the Bus With My Sister-it's been a while though so I don't really remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these either, but I would add a few more to your list.

    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
    Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern
    Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John (I haven't actually read this one, but I plan to soon. It has rave reviews!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to Five Flavors of Dumb - loved that! Also Star Gazing by Linda Gillard (deaf protagonist) and the fabulous Marcelo in the Real World (asperger's) by Francisco X. Stork!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!