March 4, 2013

What I'm Reading Mondays & Weekly Wrap-Up for 3/4/13




While I haven't posted a lot this week, I *have* been reading a lot!
I finished Stephen Colbert's book and The Study of Scarlet, as well as three short stories, a fairy tale, and I read 9 poems.  

I actually abandoned reading A Constellation of Vital Phenomena  I instead started Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon and Sexy Feminism by the creators of SexyFeminist.com

What are you reading this week?

FINISHED READING:


Books:


America Again: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert
Pages Read: 93
*Purchased*

(Review)


A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
from The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes
(see: Currently Reading)


Short Stories:

Redeployment by Phil Kay (last 8 pages)
The Wave That Takes Them Under by Brian Turner
The Train by Mariette Kalinowski


from Fire and Forget: Short Stories on the Long War
(see: Currently Reading)




The Golden Bird
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Pages: 7


Poetry:
 from The Ecopoetry Anthology
(see: Currently Reading)

Walt Whitman:
Song of Myself 
Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking
Crossing Brooklyn Ferry

Emily Dickinson:
#116/328 A Bird came down the walk...
#126/348 I dreaded that first Robin, so...
#184/465 I heard a Fly buzz- when I died...
#209/520 I started Early- Took my Dog...
#498/1400 What mystery pervades a well!... (fave so far!)
#537/1593 There came a Wind like a Bugle...


ABANDONED: 


A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
*For Review from Net Galley*
I found I just don't care about the characters, I don't like them. I now keep having to talk myself into picking it up even though the beginning was interesting.  I gave it over 50 pages even though I have a 50 page rule.  So, I guess it's time to say goodbye.


CURRENTLY READING:

Books: 



Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon
Last Week: 0%
This Week: 50%
Pages Read: 140
*For Review from Net Galley*



Sexy Feminism: A Girl's Guide to Love, Success, and Style
by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong and Heather Wood Rudolph
Last Week: 0%
This Week: 6%
Pages Read: 14
*For review via Net Galley*



The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Last Week: 3%, 50 pages read
This Week: 8%, 90 pages read
Completed: The Study of Scarlet
Working on now: Nothing right now
Last Week: 
This Week: 
(This one is kind of hard to gauge given that there are four novels and dozens of short stories in the one collection.  I can't do page numbers or percentages on individual novels so I am doing Chapters to show my place.  I will add page numbers for % of whole book read to my total below.)
*Purchased*

Short Stories:


Fire and Forget: Short Stories on the Long War
edited by Roy Scranton and Matt Gallagher
Last Week: 20%
This Week: 40%
Pages Read: 102


Poetry:


The Ecopoetry Anthology
edited by Ann Fisher-Wirth and Laura-Gray Street
Last Week: 0%
This Week: 16%
Pages Read: 107
*For review via Net Galley* 



WHAT'S NEXT:

Books:


A Soul's Calling by Scott Bishop
*For review from author*




Jane by Robin Maxwell


Weekly Wrap Up -

REVIEW POSTS:
~ America Again by Stephen Colbert
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


OTHER POSTS:
Waiting on Wednesday
~ Women's Lit Event: Kick-Off
~ Blogger Shout Outs, Week 8

STATS:
Books Read: 2
Short Stories Read: 3
Pages Read: 553
Challenge Progressions:
Around the World in 80 Books - 5/80 (+1)
Colorful Reading Challenge - 1/9 (+1)
Diving Into Poetry Challenge - 3 Poems, 1 Featured Poet, 1 Book (no change)
Four Month Challenge - 8/20 Read for 95 Points (+2)
Historical Fiction Challenge - 2/10 (+1)
Kidlit Read and Review Challenge - 14/30 Read (no change)
Literary Expolorations Challenge - 5/24 (+1)
Men in Uniform Challenge - 1/5 (no change)
Reading Outside the Box - 1 Read (+1)
Resolution Challenge - 0/10
Telling Tales Challenge - 1/5 (no change)
Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Challenge - 4/12 (no change)
YA Reading Challenge - 2/20 (no change)

11 comments:

  1. I have Sexy Feminism to read as well-I'm really looking forward to picking it up and hope it works better for you than A Constellation of Vital Phenomena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stats-keeping is always so impressive! I wish I were that organized! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find if I don't do it as I go along, it becomes a lot more work later to figure out if I am on track! lol

      Delete
  3. I just started A Study in Scarlet last night, so I'm going to go and check out your review ot it.

    Hope you are off to a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a great week in books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that Jane book on NetGalley, but since the original Tarzan books kind of freaked me out, I decided to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What freaked you out about it? I never read it so now I am really curious.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You did have a great reading week!!! I'm really curious about Jane. I've heard good things about it, but have never read the original Tarzan books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!