March 18, 2013

What I'm Reading and Weekly Wrap-Up 3-18-13


I decided to make my own little picture for What I'm Reading Mondays, hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey. 

This week was cah-razy.  My reading usually consists of at least 3 or 4 books but I have been reading SIX (6) books!  Holy crapballs, right?  I've got the book of short stories (which I just finished), the Sherlock Holmes collection (which I didn't read at all this week), and the book of poetry (which I am pacing.)  I also have going a nonfiction book, two historical fiction books, and  I'm getting ready to start a Paranormal book for a book tour.  Can we say too many fires in the oven?

The only books I finished this week, other than the short story book, therefore, were 3 books I read for my children's blog, The Very Hungry Bookworm, so I included those here.  You should totally go read the one that is posted (and check back for the other two), leave me a comment, and make me feel loved. :D

Also, my posting has been sporadic lately at best so I apologize for that.  The personal life has been kinda crazy, which actually probably explains my even more erratic reading than the uge (ushe? uje? no idea how to spell the shortened version of usual.) 

What about you?  What have you been reading lately?  Leave a comment and let me know!


FINISHED READING:


Books:


Fire and Forget: Short Stories on the Long War
edited by Roy Scranton and Matt Gallagher
Last Week: 67%
Pages Read: 84
*For Review* 


Gwynne Fair and Shining by Stephanie Lisa Tara



There's No Such Thing as Monsters by Michael Yu
(Review @ The Very Hungry Bookworm on Wednesday)


When I Was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton aand Margaret Pokisk-Fenton
(Review @ The Very Hungry Bookworm on Tuesday)


Short Stories:


from Fire and Forget (see above)

Poughkeepsie by Perry O'Brien
When Engaging Targets, Remember by Gavin Ford Kovite

Big Two-Hearted Hunting Creek by Brian Van Reet 
Roll Call by David Abrams
And Bugs Don't Bleed by Matt Gallagher
Red Steel India by Roy Scranton



Poetry:
 from The Ecopoetry Anthology
(see: Currently Reading)

Ezra Pound

The Tree
Salutation
Ancient Music
from Canto LXXXI

H.D.

Oread
Sea Iris
The Pool

Robinson Jeffers

Shine, Perishing Republic
Hurt Hawks
The Purse-Seine
Carmel Point
The Deer Lay Down Their Bones

Marianne Moore

The Fish
A Grave
The Paper Nautilus

T.S. Eliot

from The Waste Land

e.e. cummings

me up at does...

Jean Toomer

Reapers
November Cotton Flower

Stephen Vincent Benet

Metropolitan Nightmare

Hart Crane

Repose of Rivers
from The Bridge

Sterling A. Brown

Riverbank Blues

Langston Hughes

The Negro Speaks of Rivers
Daybreak in Alabama



CURRENTLY READING:

Books: 




Sexy Feminism: A Girl's Guide to Love, Success, and Style
by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong and Heather Wood Rudolph
Last Week: 12% 
This Week: 21% 
Pages Read: 20
*For review via Net Galley*



Cliff of the Ruin by Bonnie McKernan
Last Week: 16% 
This Week: 20%
Pages Read: 16
*For Review from Author*





Jane by Robin Maxwell
pg. 71 out of 312
This Week: 71 pages
*My Own Book*



The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Working on now: The Sign of the Four
Chapter: 1
Whole Book Stats:
Last Week: 9%
This Week: 9% (no change)
(This one is kind of hard to gauge given that there are four novels and dozens of short stories in the one collection.  I can't do page numbers or percentages on individual novels so I am doing Chapters to show my place.  I will add page numbers for % of whole book read to my total below.)
*Purchased*


The Ecopoetry Anthology
edited by Ann Fisher-Wirth and Laura-Gray Street
Last Week: 18%
This Week: 23%
Pages Read: 34
*For review via Net Galley* 



WHAT'S NEXT:

Books:


Release by Nicole Hadaway
*For Review for Blog Tour on 3/29*


Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans
*Purchased*


Weekly Wrap Up -

REVIEW POSTS:
~ Strangelets by Michelle Gagnon

OTHER POSTS:
~ Top Ten Tuesday: The 10 Books on the TOP of my Spring TBR List
~ Blogger Shout Outs, Weeks 9 and 10 Combined
~ TSS: The Interwebs, They Are a-Changin'

WOMEN'S LIT EVENT POSTS:
~ Review: A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf by Julie (Book Hooked Blog)



STATS:
Books Read: 1, plus 3 Kidlit
Short Stories Read: 6
Pages Read: 254
Challenge Progressions:
Around the World in 80 Books - 5/80 (no change)
Colorful Reading Challenge - 1/9 (no change)
Diving Into Poetry Challenge - 3 Poems, 1 Featured Poet, 1 Book (no change)
Four Month Challenge - 10/20 Read for 125 Points (+1, 10 points)
Historical Fiction Challenge - 2/10 (no change)
Kidlit Read and Review Challenge - 17/30 Read (+3)
Literary Expolorations Challenge - 6/24 (no change)
Men in Uniform Challenge - 1/5 (no change)
Reading Outside the Box - 2 Read (+1)
Resolution Challenge - 0/10
Telling Tales Challenge - 1/5 (no change)
Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Challenge - 5/12 (no change)
YA Reading Challenge - 3/20 (no change)

8 comments:

  1. Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really but there's still time for improvement! Thanks, Ryan!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear the personal life is evening out! Maybe you just need more book escape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to read with so much on my mind. Jane has been the most helpful with this because it is a suck-you-right-in kind of story. I need that right now. (Yea, yea, all the time, I hear you calling me out on it.)

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to give Jane a try. That's the point of reading for me, to suck me in to another world and escape mommy/wife/employee mode for a little while anyway.

      Delete
  3. I am now wondering how to spell the shortened version of "usual" as well. I can say it easily but spelling is eluding me. Hope you'll be able to settle down on the reading-I don't know how you're keeping track of all that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sooooo annoying when life gets in the way of my reading!!! ;) Here's hoping you are having a better week all-around!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!