March 17, 2013

TSS: The Interwebs, They are a-Changin'

I know I am like the gajillionth person to blog about this, but I am pretty upset about the whole shutting down of Google Reader.  I think it means a lot more than just the loss of a Reader.

The problem is not just the loss of GR and the complete lack of suitable replacements for it.  This is also about what I believe is the future of the Internet.  And, I have to admit, I am the old fogey on the porch, raising my cane, yelling at the new kids to put on more clothes and stay off my lawn.

I like blogs the way they are.  I like RSS subscriptions.  I like going through GR and seeing the blog posts as is with all of their wonderful words and enticing images.  I don't have to make five clicks just to be able to read the thing.  I don't have to cross my fingers and hope I see someone advertise their blog post on Twitter or Facebook at the same time that I happen to be on.  Because I don't live on Twitter and the Book.  I have other things I want to do with my life.  

Which, apparently, is something the Internet does not want us to have.  It wants us to be locked on 24/7.  But I am not going to buy into that.  I love Twitter and FB to find posts I might have missed or to find new blogs and info I might otherwise not find out about.  I love it for socializing, hence the name social media.  To me blogs and news sites are the entrees, and social media are the appetizers.  Social media is great, but it is not substantial to me.  

I know I am not alone in this, so it is not that I am the odd woman out.  So, where to go from here?  

23 comments:

  1. I must not be following the right blogs. I think you're only the 3rd I've seen post about it. I was upset to and still refuse to fully look into a replacement. I know they are out there, but I'll milk my GR until the end of June. I'm just upset to think of what else Google may decide to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you, and for all of the others who use GR :( I've never paid much attention to GR and I guess I'm lucky! I subscribe by email to most of the blogs I follow. My email box does get a little jam packed so I don't know if that's a good solution for you, but it'd be something to try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could do that, but I am already overwhelmed by my inbox so I don't think that's a good solution for me, unfortunately. :(

      Delete
  3. I just started checking out Netvibes as an alternative. I'm finding a huge learning curve, but its very similar to Google Reader. I still have to tackle the huge project of pruning the blogs I follow since I haven't done it in 2 years and with the toddler, I don't have as much time to read blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of Netvibes, so I will check that one out. Thanks, Serena!

      Delete
  4. What is this about Google Reader shutting down? I haven't heard a thing about it. ;) But seriously, folks, and Rebecca, I think we'll just have to find a way to adapt. Bloggers are a resilient bunch. We'll bounce back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always with the snark, Bryan. ;) And yea, we will. I just feel like being an old ninny right now. Does that make me silly or just getting my frustration out of the way, I don't know.

      Delete
  5. Like Jennifer, I read blogs via e-mail subscription, which allows me to visit the actual blog. I guess you can do that with the GR, too, but I suspect that most people don't.

    Why try to make our blogs attractive if nobody goes there?

    And the reader always looks like such a frighteningly clogged up thing....GRRR. Not my idea of comfort reading.

    But I'm sorry for those who enjoy it. It's never good to lose something we've become accustomed to....sigh.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I wish I could deal with the e-mail thing but I don't think it is a good fit for me. The reader does always look clogged, so that's why I don't want my inbox to look that way! *shudder*

      Delete
  6. I have no plans as of yet, I figure I'll wait it out and see if any of the alternative offerings improve before then in an attempt to pick up all the disgruntled GR users. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm giving netvibes a try too. I don't like it yet, but I think I'll get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have got to try this out. Thanks, Carol!

      Delete
  8. I just started using Netvibes after reading about it and am really liking its similarities to google reader. Right now I'm on a free account but I can always upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is an upgrade version, too? And as you are the 3rd to recommend it, I am being sold on it before I have gotten there.

      Delete
  9. Uhg, now I have The Times They Are A-Changin' stuck in my head. Out of my head, pesky song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like being hooked up to the network 24/7 either. RSS feeds work really well for how I function, and I'm going to keep using them for as long as I can. I want to be able to read feeds on my own time - not instantly!

    My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I synced my GR account with Feedly, and all of my subscriptions transferred over...so as long as that keeps working I'll be pretty happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I tried that, too. I didn't like the way Feedly made me open up the blog and then open up each individual post. I'm being picky, I know.

      Delete
  12. I'm not happy about the change either, but I love to follow blogs, so I will change right along with it! Keeping up with the blogosphere is just too important to me for so many reasons. Hopefully, I can find something over this Bloggiesta weekend that I can live with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!