February 19, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Historical Fiction Characters


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted  by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week participants get to choose their top ten characters in the genre of their choice.  I am choosing Historical Fiction because I can think of close to thirty off the top of my head!  

For purposes of keeping the list to only 10, I am choosing from books that were written in the last 50 years.   Otherwise it would be a list full of Jane Austen characters. :)


1. Nefertari from The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
2. Rhea Spencer/Cleopatra from Cleopatra Ascending by Maureen Lipinski
3. Katherine of Aragon from A Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory
4. Nefertiti from Nefertiti by Michelle Moran
5. Bellebelle from Beloved Enemy by Ellen Jones
6. Hanna Schmid from The Woman Who Heard Color by Kelly Jones
7. Josephine from The Secret Life of Josephine by Carolly Erickson
8. Melkorka from Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli
9. Lalu/Polly from A Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthanne Lum McCunn
10. Beloved from Beloved by Toni Morrison

Sayuri from Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden was a close #11.

If you read historical fiction, what are a couple of your favorite "characters"?

14 comments:

  1. I love historical fiction, but I haven't really been able to find any recently in that genre that have interested me. Considering these are on your top ten lists, I'm guessing you would recommend them, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much historical fiction so every single one of those is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend them if you want to dabble any! :)

      Delete
  3. I don't read much historical fiction, but Moran's books have caught my eye a time or two. I haven't read them, yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Moran! She has wonderful pacing and the characters are very relatable.

      Delete
  4. Historical fiction was a major favorite of mine when I was a kid, and so I love this list. I like your close #11 the best, honestly. And if you like fiction about Ancient Egypt, may I suggest Mara, Daughter of the Nile and The Golden Goblet? Loved those books in my historical fiction phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recs, Cecelia!! I am in love with Ancient Egypt! :D

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Oh you definitely should! It is a 5 star from me.

      Delete
  6. Interesting that you put Katherine of Aragon-I tend to prefer Anne Boleyn. I loved her crafty complicated self in Wolf Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love reading about anne Boleyn, but in this particular book Katherine's world and perspective fascinated me.

      Delete
  7. I read historical romance, does that count? ;) I love it whenever Napoleon or Michelangelo show up in a book, because you know they're going to be big on personality.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!