February 16, 2013

Review #8 - Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld

If you have ever fought with your children (or heck, yourself) about eating more vegetables, than this cookbook will be a delight for you.

Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry Seinfeld, stumbled upon a way to quit the daily argument with their kids over eating their vegetables, when she stirred in a bit of the butternut squash she was pureeing for the baby in with her children's macaroni and cheese dinner.  She mixed it and tasted it and didn't let the squash overpower the taste of the cheese. The children ate it happily, never knowing they were getting in a respectable amount of veggies (it was all the same to them because the colors matched) and Jessica was happy knowing she had found a way to make sure they were getting the nutrition that they needed.

After her discovery, she began trying more and more dishes - from cauliflower mixed in with scrambled eggs, to pumpkin and sweet potato mixed into homemade doughnuts.  Every recipe included in the cookbook was tested on her own three children (ages 6, 4, and 2 at time of publication) with wonderful results.  She includes real-life comments from her family on many of the recipes and the cookbook is interspersed with tidbits and tips for everything from table manners to dining out.  Jessica even includes tips for stocking your kitchen and pantry, as well as how to puree vegetables.  Also included is nutritional guidelines for children from Joy Bauer, a nutritionist and founder of Joy Bauer Nutrition Centers, as well as the expert on nutrition for The Today Show.

I am already loving Jessica's Applesauce Muffins made with carrots as well as her Burgers with Zucchini.

I am also looking forward to trying out more recipes, especially Oatmeal with Sweet Potato, Aloha Chicken Kebabs with Sweet Potato and Pineapple (which sounds yum whether I can taste the veggies or not), Ranch Dressing made with Navy Beans, Chicken Salad with cauliflower (since I do not like cauliflower), and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas.

5 comments:

  1. I got this book from the library when my kids were little, but I don't think we made anything from it. Some of her recipes looked good to me and others looked pretty weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, there were a couple I am not interested in, but there are many more that look too interesting not to try!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I'm down with "tricking" kids into eating vegetables. Vegetables are good to eat! Plus I heard that if kids don't eat something in the first 3 years of their life, they become afraid of it and won't eat it in the future. So is that really teaching your kids good long-term eating habits? But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I don't have to make those sorts of decisions (thank god).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a wonderful world if all parents could get all the kids to eat all kinds of stuff before the age of 3, but let's face it. Never gonna happen with most families. I think if you can't get them to ever eat veggies on principle alone, hiding it in the mac & cheese is the way to go. Plus I wouldn't mind trying this trick with veggies I don't necessarily like.

      Delete
  3. *I got this but never got around to making anything. I eventually decided I had to force my son to eat his veggies instead of hiding them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!