February 19, 2013

Littlest Bookworm: Kidlit Reviews

Littlest Bookworm

This will be my new feature for reviewing Kidlit on Lost in Books.  If you love kidlit, please also check out my other blog, The Very Hungry Bookworm, which features only children's books!


Cat or Dog for President by Julia Dweck

The narrator dreams up what it would be like if his cat and his dog ran in an election in this interesting rhyming tale.  It goes through what kind of platform each would run, how they would recruit voters, where they would have their office, even how they would work against each other.  Except, at the end they realize it would be much more fun and better for everyone if they ran together and everyone would be happy.  Very cute book!



Daylight/Moonlight by Matt Patterson
What I love about this book is that there is so much going on in every picture.  Each environment (including desert, pond, etc.) has a picture of the animals in the daylight and the nocturnal animals in the moonlight.  In the back of the book it includes diagrams of the names of all the animals in the pictures so you can test yourself, or in case you aren't sure what the name of a particular animal is.  Great book.

*I received this book for review from the publisher via Net Galley.



Dr. Hicker Up: The Hiccup Healing Man by Katherine Ladney Mitchell

I loved how fun this book was and I was impressed with the vocabulary included in the rhyming story (ex. contraption, eccentric, preened).  I also  enjoyed the surprises behind the doors in Dr. Hicker Up's office, which was how he cured Billy's hiccups.  Very engaging story.  Ages 5 and up for length.




On My Daddy's Shoulders by Peter Larson

One word: ADORABLE.  I love all the scenarios of what the little boy imagined as he played on daddy's shoulders- from an astronaut on his way to Mars, to a pirate in a duel, to a crane operator.  If there is one complaint, I wish it had been a little longer with more scenarios!  


The Wolf Who Couldn't Stop His Hiccups by Karen Liew

This story is about a wolf who is trying to find an animal for dinner but the animals keep spotting him because he has the hiccups.  He tries everything but nothing works.  He waits a while and he is satisfied he has stopped hiccuping.  So he sneaks into the cattle barn and instead he sneezes.  Some may find this story cute, but I found it lacking.  I can't quite put my finger on why.


Magic Words translated by Edward Field
Edward Field has translated the ancient Inuit story of how animals and people are interchangeable.  The poem captures the true and pure spirit of the Inuit culture.  The illustrations are colorful and, indeed, magical. The poem is short but it is a wonderful way to share the culture with young children.

My camera doesn't quite capture the beauty, but you get the idea.


Challenge:


6 comments:

  1. These titles look so cute especially Cat or Dog and On My Daddy's Shoulders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Cat or Dog For President looks adorable to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably my favorite out of all of those!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to add the Magic Words book to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Magic Words is one you can download from Net Galley automatically!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!