February 12, 2013

February Featured Poet Langston Hughes - Post #2





Acceptance

God in His infinite wisdom
Did not make me very wise-
So when my actions are stupid
They hardly take God by surprise 

Thoughts:
I like the simplicity yet depth of this poem.  Sometimes we don't need a lot of words to convey a lot of meaning.

I Dream A World

I dream a world where man
No other man will scorn,
Where love will bless the earth
And peace its paths adorn
I dream a world where all
Will know sweet freedom's way,
Where greed no longer saps the soul
Nor avarice blights our day.
A world I dream where black or white,
Whatever race you be,
Will share the bounties of the earth
And every man is free,
Where wretchedness will hang its head
And joy, like a pearl,
Attends the needs of all mankind-
Of such I dream, my world!

Thoughts:
This poem is reminiscent to me of MLK's speech, even though this was written before the famous speech by 37 years.  I like the line "where wretchedness will hang its head" - it's a beautiful line.  The poem, like many others by Hughes, conveys his views on equality and freedom for all where greed and self-preservation don't take precedence over  the needs of everyone else.  

2 comments:

  1. I really like the first poem-makes me reflect on some of the things I've been studying in my Bible Study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet it does. I really liked it, too.

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I read every single comment and try my best to reply to all of them. Thanks so much! You rock!! :)