January 25, 2013

Your Reading List for the Movies

There is nothing quite as polarizing in the book world as our beloved tomes being adapted into movies.  We are either absolutely delighted in the transformation to screen or we hate them with a loathing usually reserved only for taxes or Brussels sprouts.

There are plenty of movies coming to theaters in 2013 that were originally based off of books.  Here is a sampling of the reading list you need before you visit theaters.


Movie: Parker
Starring: Jason Statham, Jennifer Lopez
Based on: Donald Westlake's The Hunter
In Theaters: Now











Movie: Warm Bodies
Starring: Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer
Based on: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
In Theaters: February 1st










Movie: Beautiful Creatures
Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Alice Englert, Jeremy Irons, Viola Davis, Emmy Rossum, Emma Thompson
Based on: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
In Theaters: February 13th










Movie: Safe Haven
Starring:  Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough
Based on: Nicholas Spark's Safe Haven
In Theaters: February 14th








Movie: Admission
Starring: Tina Fey and Paul Rudd
Based on: Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz
In Theaters: March 13th




Movie: Carrie
Starring: Chloe Moretz, Judy Greer
Based on: Stephen King's novel
In Theaters: March 15th






Movie: The Host
Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Diane Kruger
Based on: Stephanie Meyers' The Host
In Theaters: March 29th








Movie: The Company You Keep
Starring: Robert Redford, Shia LeBeouf, Anna Kendrick, Susan Sarandon, Terrence Howard
Based on: The Company You Keep by Neil Gordon
In Theaters: April 5th





Movie: The Great Gatsby
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire
Based on: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (one of my favorite books)
In Theaters: May 10th







Movie: World War Z
Starring: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, David Morse
Based on: World War Z by Max Brooks
In Theaters: June 21st







Movie: City of Bones
Starring: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower
Based on: Cassandra Clare's City of Bones (Mortal Instruments #1)
In Theaters: August 23rd









Movie: Paranoia
Starring: Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, Harrison Ford, Amber Heard, Richard Dryfuss
Based on: Paranoia by Joseph Finder
In Theaters: October 4th








Movie: Ender's Game
Starring: Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, Hailee Steinfeld, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis
Based on: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
In Theaters: November 1st






Movie: Catching Fire
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth
Based on: Suzanne Collins' Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
In Theaters: November 22nd







Movie: Two Mothers
Starring: Naomi Watts and Robin Wright
Based on: Nobel Prize-winning author Doris Lessing's short story, "The Grandmothers"
In Theaters: Unknown





Movie: Austenland
Starring: Keri Russell, Jane Seymour, JJ Feild, Jennifer Coolidge, Bret McKenzie, Georgia King
Based on: Shannon Hale's Austenland
In Theaters: Unknown
Bonus Info: Co-produced by Twilight author Stephanie Meyers





Movie: Winter's Tale
Starring: Will Smith, Russell Brand, Matt Bomer, Colin Farrell, Jennifer Connelly
Based on: Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
In Theaters: Unknown









Movie: How I Live Now
Starring: Saoirse Ronan, George McKay, Harley Bird, Natasha Jonas
Based on: How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
In Theaters: Unknown





Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Starring: Kate Hudson, Liev Schreiber, Kiefer Sutherland
Based on: The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
In Theaters: Unknown





Movie: Serena
Starring: Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence
Based on: Serena by Ron Rash
In Theaters: Unknown








Movie: Devil's Knot
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Stephen Moyer, Colin Firth
Based on: Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three
In Theaters: Unknown




Movie: Kill Your Darlings
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Dane DeHaan, Elizabeth Olsen, Jack Huston, Michael C. Hall, Ben Foster, Jennifer Jason Leigh
Based on: "The Town and the City" and "Vanity of Duluoz" by Jack Kerouac
In Theaters: Unknown









So what book-to-movie adaptations are you most looking forward to?











20 comments:

  1. I love and hate it when they make movies off of books. First off, I hate that it takes a movie to make a book super popular. I know so many people that won't read a book unless it is made into a movie. That bothers me. A lot.

    It scares me when they make a movie off of a book that I really like. I'm looking forward to seeing Beautiful Creatures and City of Bones, but I'm worried about how they'll do as movies. The trailers look pretty good, so I guess I'll find out when they come out. I really want to see the Great Gatsby too. I'm curious to see how that one will live up to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Usually they are either very well done or they are complete garbage. I have loved the other Gatsby movies, so I have high expectations for this one!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to The Great Gatsby, of course, and City of Bones poster also looks interesting - and so much like The 10th Kingdom =) It's also good to finally see Radcliffe in non-HP outfit. Not that I'm expecting much of him, but I'm interested)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I think I might see the City of Bones movie just to see if I like it any better than the book. I couldn't get into it last year no matter how much I tried. Maybe if I like it I can re-visit the book.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea Parker was based on a book. I am INSANELY excited about The Great Gatsby. Even though I would say that's a nearly impossible novel to adapt to the screen, it looks like this version will at least be entertaining, and possibly even good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have liked the previous Gatsby movies, but I have to say I am insanely excited about this version, too. It just looks fun!

      Delete
  4. As I love the Parker series by Westlake, writing under the name Richard Stark, I want to see Parker. From what I just read in this article http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/movies/20130125_Fast__furious__and_unpretentious.html, it is based off another book, Flashfire, although there are similarities to The Hunter. As for other movies you Mentioned that I'd like to see , I had no idea about Ender's Game. That could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well thanks for letting me know that! I read it was off The Hunter book. I haven't read the Parker series yet. I did not know about Ender's Game either until last week!

      Delete
  5. REALLY looking forward to Warm Bodies. Hoping the book comes in at the library in time for me to read it and then catch it in the theatre. I've had The Host on my TBR pile for awhile. Hopefully I can pick that one off as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a trailer for Warm Bodies for the first time today. It looks pretty good and I am not even a big fan of zombies! I like The Walking Dead and Zombieland but that is about it.

      Delete
  6. Great post, Rebecca! I am very interested in World War Z and The Reluctant Fundamentalist, both the book and movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I haven't read either book yet either although they are both in my pile of "I've been meaning to read for forever."

      Delete
  7. Hello, Rebecca! Your recent post made me go, hmmm ... so many books, so little time (sigh!). Of the books you mentioned in your list, I'm afraid I only got to read "Catching Fire" (both the English version and its translation in our native language, Filipino) and "Safe Haven". I would be interested in seeing the movie versions of both books. However, if you were to ask me what book I would REALLY like to "see," it would have to be Arturo Perez Reverte's "The Seville Communion." I loved it so much I actually blogged about it: http://www.thefilipinareader.blogspot.com/#!http://thefilipinareader.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-english-translation-of-arturo-perez.html

    I just can't get that image of Daniel Craig as a priest in my head! I just got my (very dusty) lot of old books out of storage, which just happens to include "The Great Gatsby". It's been with me for years, and I have yet to read it. But I will read it since it's a classic (I hope I love it). I'll be reading that, just as soon as I get all these vampire books out of the way (why do all these books for young adults feature all these hot-looking vampires? Almost makes me miss reading about ordinary humans :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read Gatsby! It's a classic for a reason. So good! It is one of my favorites. I am probably most excited for Gatsby and Catching Fire. I love The Hunger Games!

      Delete
  8. This reminds me I need to read The Great Gatsby and Ender's Game, a couple of blind spots.

    I'm beginning to feel enough has been said about West Memphis Three, though I'll probably watch that movie anyway!

    I'm looking forward to The Hobbit sequels, John Dies at The End, and Snowpiercer. (Even though I should point out I've only read The Hobbit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another blogger and I are considering having a readalong for Gatsby toward the end of April so keep your eyes peeled for that if you want to join!

      I haven't read Ender's Game either, another one of those "I've been meaning to get to that."

      Delete
  9. SO much goodness. I can't wait for The Host.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me excited in anticipation of all the awesomeness that might be had. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness! Such a great list!! I think the one coming up that I am most excited for is Warm Bodies! It looks good, but I still have not read the book. Same with Beautiful Creatures. Looks like I have a LOT more reading to do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! I need to read Beautiful Creatures and Ender's Game. I probably won't read Warm Bodies just because zombies scare me. I can barely watch them on the screen. lol I'm such a wimp.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!