January 29, 2013

Turn of the Century Salon: January Post



I honestly had no idea about this Literary Salon until I read a post on Slightly Cultural, Most Thoughtful and Inevitably Irrelevant.  The salon is all about the Turn of the Century, which, as any Downton Abbey fan knows, is utterly fascinating.

The salon is hosted by November's Autumn.  

For January, participants are sharing introductions.  

What draws you to read the classics?

I find the classics endlessly intriguing.  There is a reason so many of these books have stood the test of time.  The same cannot be said for many of the books written today.  I am sure some novels that were written in this time period have been forgotten, but I feel that there was an overall push for beautiful language and universal themes in stories back then. Both of these make reading classics so delightful.   I love delving into the deep subjects and finding hidden agendas or symbolism.

What era have you mainly read?  Gregorian?  Victorian?  Which authors?

I am very fascinated with the Victorian and Edwardian eras and with the Jazz Age.  

I have read E.M. Forster, Beatrix Potter, George Bernard Shaw, Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning, Henry David Thoreau, Arthur Conan Doyle, W.W. Jacobs, Jack London, Ernest Hemingway, Langston Hughes, Willa Cather, T.S. Eliot, Robert Frost, Mark Twain, W.E.B. Du Bois, Emily Dickinson, Stephen Crane, Frederick Douglass, Walt Whitman, Louisa May Alcott, Ezra Pound, and Carl Sandburg.

What classics have you read from 1880s-1930s?  What did you think of them?

One of my favorite books is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I am planning a re-read for this spring.  Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets of all time.  I have read The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway, which is said not to be his greatest book, and I really liked it.  I am excited to read A Farewell to Arms this year.  


Name some books you are looking forward to reading this year for the salon.

Obviously, A Farewell to Arms.  I don't know if my re-read of Gatsby counts.  I want to read A Boy's Will by Robert Frost, The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and something by Gertrude Stein.

Which literary characters are you most akin to?

The determined, but slightly flawed, characters.  The characters who you see good and sweet in, even if it is buried.

Which authors do you love?

F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Frost, Whitman


Is your preference prose?  Poetry?  Both?

Both


4 comments:

  1. I'm happy I made you join!)) Have a nice turn of the century!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this, either, but it sounds fun. Totally joining now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!