January 13, 2013

Short Story Sunday- Weeks 1 and 2


One of the things I wanted to get back to this year was short stories.  Therefore, I created Short Story Sunday, where I will read and review a short story once a week.  I actually missed the first Sunday of the year because I was sick and couldn't concentrate on reading, so I am reviewing 2 this week.


#1 The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter

I haven't read this one since I was very young.  It was a fun story to start off the year with as I had forgotten the details of it.  As I read it now as an adult I feel the ending is strange and kind of abrupt.  I looked up the story elsewhere to make sure that was how it ended.  I still like the tale of a rebellious Peter realizing that parents do sometimes tell you not to do things in order to keep children safe. *****


#2 Death by Scrabble by Charlie Fish

This is the humorous and odd story of a 42-year-old man who hates his wife.  All he can think to do with her is play Scrabble with her on a blistering hot afternoon.  If it wasn't for her, he could be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro or starring in the latest Hollywood blockbuster.  So he spends the game fantasizing about ways he can kill her.  Then he starts realizing the words they play come true.  I thought the ending was interesting but anticlimactic.  ***

2 comments:

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!