January 30, 2013

Bookish Links & Discoveries - 1/30/13

1. I cannot decide if this Salon.com piece is making too much of Fox's new show, The Following, or not.  Can it be much worse than the movie, The Raven?  Of course, in The Raven, Poe was trying to stop people from misinterpreting and re-creating his stories, not the center of evil plots.  I might reserve judgment until I see the show.  

2. Paul Holdengraber is making conversation come alive at the New York Public Library.  Can something similar help revive other libraries?  I sure wish they would do something similar in my city.  Not that anyone would come to this city, but if they did people would show up in droves.

3.  I loved this slideshow about the love stories of 10 intellectual couples throughout history.  My favorite to read about were Georgia O'Keefe and Alfred Stieglitz.

Awwww!


4. Beth Kephart wrote about her discussion with teens on why some teens do not read YA. I can't say I blame them.  While I have grown to love YA in the past couple of years, I have also been aware that many YA books talk down to their intended audience.  These students had even more reasons. 

5. Listverse has 10 Deleted Chapters that Transformed Famous Books.  I have to say I skipped some of the ones I had not read, but for those whose endings wouldn't be spoiled, whoa.  Who knew?

6. Is it wrong that I totally laughed at these Literary Puns



7.  BBC News analyzes Americans' infatuation with Jane Austen.  As if it needs explanation.  Speaking of Jane, check out The Guardian's 10 best Austen characters- in pictures.

8. The Brothers Grimm have even more tales?  Apparently so.

9.  Amanda Nelson at Book Riot's Perfumes Inspired by Dead Writers is not only hilarious, but spot on.

10. I am a huge fan of Book Pickings.  Check out this Literary Geography circa 1933 and also their homage to Anton Chekov with his 8 Qualities of Cultured People.

11. If you like modern-style bookcases, you will love these collected on dornob.com



12 comments:

  1. I've been watching The Following and I still am not quite sure what I think of it! I wouldn't be quite so harsh as the linked article though!

    Love the literary puns!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I think the author of the article must be a die hard Poe purist or something. I have yet to watch the show, but I am definitely intrigued.

      Delete
  2. Awesome links-loved the Austen! A bit dispirited by Beth Kephart's-I feel like those teens maybe haven't read much YA and are condemning it on a narrow experience. Yes, there are the badly written and knockoff books (like there are across all categories and genres) but there are some really amazing books out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was taken aback a little by it as well. I think, too, this is a specific kind of teen. They are already going beyond what typical teens do simply by entering into a writing contest. I think they are also rebelling a little against it because they want to read older than is directed at them.

      Delete
  3. I've only seen the second episode of The Following, but I really like it. Kevin Bacon is AMAZING in it; that role is perfect for him. I think the author of that article was a Poe purist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking she is, too. I haven't seen The Following yet so I was interested in others' takes. Glad to know it is good!

      Delete
  4. +JMJ+

    I don't usually read posts which are "just" a collection of links, but I tend to love them when you put them together, Becca. =)

    What I found most fascinating was Beth Kephart's article. I've actually felt the same way about a lot of the new YA that has come out since Twilight (and I've been reading YA since I was "too young" for it). The best critique is the first one she quoted: "YA authors seem to think that teens see themselves as central, as the story's only important protagonists." This is exactly what I've been trying to put into words for a while!

    Thanks for the links, Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! I am honored that you choose to read mine. :D

      I think that is a good point in Kephart's article, too. I think that while there is good YA out there, some of it is so dumbed down, too.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for that Beth Kephart link. I often wonder at how similar all of these YA novels are (especially the dystopian/paranormal ones...how many vampires and effed-up societies can we create...) and I'm glad the YA intended audience feels that frustration too. Sometimes I feel like the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like paranormal/dystopian stories but I need new twists to them, too. I hate the cookie-cutter books. How much fan fiction does there need to be out there? Write something your own, you know? I think some authors are only interested in the fast track to sales instead of writing a book actually worthy.

      Delete
  6. Great collection of links! I have lots of reading to do! :--)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! There are some good articles this week.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!