January 24, 2013

Book Review #2- Hera, Queen of Gods by T.D. Thomas

PROLOGUE:

"Life is about one thing, and one thing only.

Power.

No one understands that better than the average teenager.  For them, all the niceties of life are stripped away.  Like prisoners, they are thrown in a cage, against their will, with others just as desperate as they are.  Power determines who rules the cage.  Power determines who survives.

Maybe that's why we choose to become teenagers when we wander into the mortal world--because teenagers, like gods, understand--in the end, it's all about power."

***********************************************************

The gods are here.

Hera.  Zeus.  Athena.  Demeter.  Hermes.  Artemis.  Apollo.

They have come down to earth in mortal form in order to find the Fates.  However, finding the Fates turns out to be more challenging than the gods anticipated.  The gods are used to being very powerful but in order to not kill the mortal bodies they are in, they each had to take only one power with them.  The problem is the longer they are in their mortal bodies, the more human each of them becomes.  Luckily, a mortal, Justin, who becomes entangled in their realities and mission after saving Hera from a brutal attack by humans at the school, and he helps guide the gods through the mortal world that they have not visited in, I believe it is, centuries.

There is nothing more important to Hera than fulfilling her duties as queen.  Not even her husband, Zeus (for good reasons, I might add.) However, morality begins to affect Hera- how she feels, thinks, acts, speaks, what is important to her.  She is torn between who she is becoming and who she needs to be in order to fulfill her duty.  Hera needs to figure out how to deal with the changes and figure out how to find the missing goddesses.  Existence in both the Heavens and the Earth is at stake.

T.D. Thomas had me hooked from the opening scene in Chapter One.  The reader is thrown into a scenario already in play that doesn't even make much sense.  So, naturally, you keep reading to figure out what in the blue hell is going on, right?  It was the perfect way to begin a story about all-powerful gods who have been plunged into the mortal world.  

I like that there are so many twists and turns- even when it is predictable something is unpredictable about it.  I love that!  If you have been reading my blog long enough you know I become bored VERY easily (curse of the A.D.D.), so when this is done correctly, as it is in this book, I will lavish praise on it like it is the best thing since sliced bread.  



I love a fantasy YA book where all of the characters are intelligent- every last one of them (even the evil ones.)  I love when a book assumes the reader is intelligent and doesn't talk down to them.  I felt a couple of times things were over-explained but it is YA after all and maybe what I think is obvious would not be so obvious to my younger self.  Overall, Thomas did a fantastic job with this.  I was so impressed, especially since this is a DEBUT BOOK PEOPLE!!!

The only thing I would have changed is there were a couple of times when I thought a situation was too drawn out and could have been more succinct and packed a more powerful punch.  But it was only two or three times and the next event to happen was so powerful, I couldn't help but forgive that.

If you enjoy stories about gods or supernatural stories or fantasy stories or YA stories, or you know, just plain good writing, then I recommend this book.  I cannot wait for the second book to come out and this one was just released!  Ugh, this is why I don't read series until they are complete!  


CHALLENGES:





4 comments:

  1. I don't have ADD and I have no patience for boring books, either. NO PATIENCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You understand why I was so giddy, then! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome review. I'll definitely give this book a chance. Gotta support new authors! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!