January 31, 2013

Abandoned: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I tried. I tried so hard. But I just hated this book.

I mean, first of all, both Amy and Nick are both pretty unlikable and pretty boring. Things picked up a little when a new character emerges around page 150, but twenty pages later I was bored again. I didn't even care how Amy died, or why. 

Secondly, Flynn is so focused on giving every minute detail of every single person, place, and object that is in, on, under, above, or around that I skipped entire pages waiting for the drivel to just bloody END. Good descriptions are great, but not when they take up pages. And ESPECIALLY not when it is in detriment to, oh, you know, plot development. 

Flynn is so busy giving out all these details that she forgets to move the story along. I am thinking without all the unnecessary descriptions of every table, chair, mustache, and glance that it would have been a novella. There isn't enough story there to warrant it being a novel.

I know some people like it, I know others who managed to finish it but hated the ending, and when I was basically having to bribe myself to pick up the book I knew it was over.

15 comments:

  1. Just curious ... did you flip to the end to find out what happened or did you not even care? (This is one I'm going to pass on, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. I knew most people didn't even like the ending so I figured why bother?

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way you did. I quickly became bored, despite the massive twists. At least you know you're not alone in your opinion of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to not be the only one! So many people loved this book.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this didn't work for you. I've got to read it soon for my book club. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people gave it 4 and 5 star ratings. It just wasn't for me. I am interested to know what you think!

      Delete
  4. Sorry this didn't work for you-I'm still interested in trying it since my mom and sister loved it. Our tastes usually overlap so I'm hoping it will work better for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be interested to see what you think!

      Delete
  5. I didn't love it as much as everyone else, but I found it enjoyable even if I knew where it was going. I didn't like the end, and I agree they all got a little tiresome. A friend of mine read it and finished it, but she said she felt dumber and dirty for having read it. lol. It gets quite the passionate response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get passionate responses! It makes it an interesting book to discuss.

      Delete
  6. Uhg I hate long descriptions. And is it just me, or does every awful novel have them? Bad sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very tedious. The descriptions painted a good picture, but giving that many details about every thing was too much.

      Delete
  7. I stopped reading this by about page 75 or so because the two main characters made me want to knock their heads together and walk off into the sunset. Since I couldn't knock their heads together and since it was AM and not PM, I decided that the best thing to do was move the book on to the next person and pick up a new one that wouldn't irritate me so much. I didn't even care how it ended. It's been a while since I've had such a strong negative reaction to characters in a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only plowed through to page 170 because I thought it must get better if there are so many good reviews. But it was just not a book for me. I didn't care how it ended, either.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed this book even though I agree the people are terrible people. The twisty minds kept the story moving for me. Was uneasy with the end but I do believe that is as intended.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!