December 14, 2012

What My Family Likes to Read

One thing I really like about my family and friends is that they like to read.  My parents instilled a love of reading in my sisters and I at an early age.  We always had plenty of books surrounding us.  We saw our parents reading all the time, even if it was the newspaper.  I used to crawl in between my dad and the newspaper and ask him to read it to me.  Then he would have to try and find a kid-friendly article.  Good luck, right?  Haha. :)  

As I have grown and matured I have realized that as a rule not only do I want to surround myself with quality people of generosity, humor, empathy, and respect.  I also want intelligent people and people who find reading fun, not nerdy and weird.  My boyfriend picks on me for my love of books because on our first date I had to leave and go home to finish Dewey's Read-a-thon.  It was my first readathon and I took it seriously.   He teases that I prefer books to spending time with him.  I will never hear the end of it, I promise you, lol.


John, my boyfriend, doesn't read for fun really.  Which is odd considering how much I do read for fun.  He reads in order to learn something- instruction manuals and how-to books, the history of something he is interested in, stuff like that.  He does read a lot to his young son, though, and I love that they read together almost every night.  I love that John is instilling a love of books into little J.

Little J. loves him some dinosaurs.
He is six and tells everyone he wants to be a paleontologist.. 

My dad passed in 2009 but when he was alive he loved westerns.  Louis L'Amour was his favorite.  He could read nothing but L'Amour forever and be content.  He did like to read biographies and how-to books, as well, though.

My mom likes a lot of books with mystery and humor.  She keeps recommending to me The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith, although I haven't gotten to them yet.  She is also a big fan of 



My older sister, N., loves Sookie Stackhouse series (that HBO's True Blood is loosely based on) and the High Heel Mysteries by Gemma Halliday.  She also likes Louisa May Alcott's Little Women and has recently become a big fan of Susan Hatler.


My younger sister, C., is a huge fan of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  Other favorites include The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.  She has also read almost all of the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich.  She says right now she is reading Orwell's 1984 and just finished reading Reading Lolita in Tehran.   I love the variety and her tastes are the most similar to mine in our family, as you can probably see.



My brother-in-law, K., found these books quite memorable: The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, 1984 by George Orwell, and Crime and Punishment, as well as The Idiot, by Doestoyevsky.  He also likes to read biographies and tech stuff.  


My best friend, N., like my younger sister, loves the Stephanie Plum novels.  She also is a fan of Twilight, but I forgive her for that since she is such an awesome person otherwise.  :D



As you can see my family is very literary-minded and I love that.  Not everyone gets that growing up.  I think it makes a big difference whether kids see their parents reading. 

What about you?  Is your family into reading?  Tell me all about it in the comments below.  I like finding out how other readers developed a love for books.

3 comments:

  1. My mom and her dad both like to read, but the rest of my family is totally uninterested. My brother will only read books when he likes the movies, and my dad only reads about one book a year. He does tend to enjoy that one book, though.


    I think my mom and grandpa definitely influenced my reading, though. I used to read my grandfather's romance novels when I stayed at my grandparents' house, and my mom always had a lot of mystery novels lying around, and those are my two favorite genres. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story about your grandparents reminded me how my mom's mom had a ton of those romance novels with the steamy sex scenes and Fabio on the front. I had forgotten about that until now lol It's cool what influences the genres we read most, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your family loves to read too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I read every single comment and try my best to reply to all of them. Thanks so much! You rock!! :)