December 30, 2012

TSS: Did you take any chances this year?


Happy last Sunday of the year!  Crazy, right?  I feel like time has flown by this year.

Today I had a burning question to ask y'all. 

Think of all the books you read this year.  Yes, all 167 of them, you speed reader, you.
Now, how many of them were books that you wouldn't normally pick up?  How many of them deviated from your typical reading behavior?  

In other words, did you take any chances with your reading this year?





I asked myself this question and I reviewed the 50 books I've read this year.  (I just made the deadline, too!  Whew!)  I discovered that I had in fact taken a chance.  

 I opened myself up to a whole new genre- Romance.  This actually came about when I began preparations for the Holiday Extravaganza Giveaway.  I was offered two short stories by two awesome authors, Nichole Chase and Angie Stanton (who is more YA romance) They were not my first foray into romance.  I had dabbled in the genre before but never got into it.  I kept thinking, why read this when you can have it in real life?  Better to participate than watch (or read) from the sidelines, right?  Well, either the writing has gotten better or my tastes have changed as I grow older (eek!)  because I really liked both On Christmas Hill and Snowed Over (review to come).  

I thought at first it was the Christmas aspect of it.   It is all so magical be in love at Christmas.  But then, I cannot stand all those ridiculous Hallmark Christmas movies where love conquers all in the end, blah blah blah.  So, it's not that.   So I am thinking that Nichole and Angie are just really awesome writers.   I know a few of you who love romance (I am looking at you, TashaJulie, and Book Vixen) and sexy books and have recommended several to me.  I will be taking you up on those in 2013, you will be happy to know. The proof is in the Goodreads TBR.   I am thinking now that I am in a good, lasting relationship I can have my sexy romance cake and read it, too.  :)


In 2013 I hope to be taken even more risks in my reading.

What about you?  Did you take any chances in your reading this year?  
Will you be taking any next year?  You know you want to!! 




21 comments:

  1. I'm taking one big chance right now in that I'm finishing this year and starting next year with a 1,600 page tome (1Q84 by Haruki Murakami). I think the last time, and maybe only time (besides the entire Lord of the Rings) I've read a book this big, was The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. So far, it's good, but it's one of the few times I actually might not be a monogamous reader (already I've read one other book while reading this).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)December 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

    No, it was a fairly mild reading year for me. I did read a couple of ebooks on my son's Nook because that's what I was sent for review instead of print copies. That was a stretch, given that I hate ereaders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I started to read Les Miserables for the first time, and am really enjoying it. I don't read many classics, though I am getting out of my comfort zone and changing it. Good question, Becca. Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I am hoping to read more classics in 2013. Did you see the new Les Mis movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you did go outside of your comfort zone in formatting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed with your undertaking! I recently re-read The Count of Monte Cristo, which at roughly 600 pages is the biggest book I have finished. I read in Tale of Genji but never finished it. I need to see if I can pick that one up again and read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am never a monogamous reader. Maybe that should be one of my goals for 2013. I am always reading at least 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hunger Games veered from my usual and I am very glad it did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bermudaonion(Kathy)December 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

    I generally take chances when I read books for my book club! lol For some reason, my taste seems to be way different than everyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great question! In 2011, I took a lot of risks with my reading. This year, not so much. I'm going to keep this question at the back of my head every time I reach for a book next year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always try to take chances in my reading -- it is often how you find the most surprising and satisfying books!!

    If I don't swing by again before Tuesday, I wanted to wish you a very happy new year filled with 5 star reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hm, I'm not sure. I'm thinking not, but there are several books I never would have started if I knew anything about what they were going to be about. Does that count? ;)


    I'm glad you like the romances! I'm impressed you get that level of romance in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not so much. I bravely gave up on a book that just didn't work for me. That's something. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes it takes courage just to say, "You know what? This isn't worth my time. I just am not going to like this. Time to move on."

    ReplyDelete
  15. You bravely started 2 new blogs, so at least there is that, right? Plus, there is always 2013 for bravely picking up a different kind of book. ;)


    And, thanks. I am very lucky with John. If I could match up all my friends with someone as perfect for them as he is for me, I would be very happy, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome! I can't wait to see what risks you take. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same here! I'm always thinking, why doesn't anyone else pick books I would? lol But I guess there is something to be said for book clubs making us take avenues we wouldn't otherwise pursue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved HG! I am glad I read those this year, too. Taking chances can pay off! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I took any reading risks this year. I read lots of contemporary romance and lots of romantic suspense :D


    Glad you're enjoying reading romance!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It took me by complete surprise to find myself enjoying it as much as I did but now I am all about seeing what else I can enjoy in the genre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful way to start out my year! Thank you for taking a chance on me and my books! I feel all kinds of special that I might have broadened your reading spectrum a little.

    Happy New Year, Becca. I wish you many good books in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!