December 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - My Author Discoveries of 2012


Top Ten Tuesday is a fun meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's list is Top Ten New-to-Me Authors of 2012.  I read quite a few new authors this year.  Fun!

This is in no particular order.  For some reason I don't rate the top ten within themselves:

1. Lucy Knisley- I really enjoyed reading Knisley's graphic novel Relish: My Life in the Kitchen.  I liked that there was humor, that there were smaller stories within the bigger story, and that she included recipes.

2. J.K. Rowling- I finally cracked open a Harry Potter book and was pleased to see that I was enthralled with the magic of Hogwarts as I was when I first accidentally saw the movie in college when my roommate had it on.  I read the first two books and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

3. Nichole Chase- I read Nichole Chase's short story, On Christmas Hill, for my Holidays Extravaganza and not only did I really like it, but I went and added all her other books to my TBR list. 

4. Maureen Lipinski- I loved reading Lipinski's modern-day twist to the story of Cleopatra in Cleopatra Ascending.  I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more books from her.

5. Tracey Graves Garvis- There is a good reason Hollywood is making a movie of On the Island.  It is a story made for the cinema.  I just hope the casting doesn't suck and ruin the whole thing.

6. Suzanne Collins- It feels like it has been longer than 9 months since I read The Hunger Games because all I want to do is read them again!  

7. Kelly Jones- I loved reading The Woman Who Heard Color.  I like that the plot was original and was not like every other book on the market right now.  The story flowed and I found myself entranced by the secret art.

8. Lauren Oliver- I had been eyeing Before I Fall on my shelf for months and when I finally picked it up to read, I was not disappointed.

9. Mary Higgins Clark- I would never have bought Where Are You Now? on my own or even thought to look at it in a library.  But my sister had borrowed it from my mom last year at Christmas and when she returned it I saw it lying on my mom's table and picked it up out of curiosity to read the synopsis.  Brilliant move on my part.  I loved it.  

10. Jay Dobyns- I saved this one, No Angel,  for last because it was a nonfiction memoir.  It is about Dobyns' undercover work with the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club.  I am fascinated with motorcycles (okay, Harleys.  I'm a purist.) and bikers.  I liked reading about Dobyns time with the HA.  It read like fiction, which made it even more enjoyable to read.


What were your some of your favorite new-t0-you authors this past year?  I would love to know! 

18 comments:

  1. J.K. Rowling! Suzanne Collins! I'm glad you finally found those two this year. I'm hoping Lucy Knisley is a great find for me in 2013. Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like Knisley, too! I found her so enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bermudaonion(Kathy)December 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM

    I love all these end of the year lists but they always remind me of just how many books I haven't read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same. I have a love/hate relationship with book lists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter for the first time this year? AND Hunger Games? Wow, you must have LOVED this past reading year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a pretty good reading year to be sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather@Buried in BooksDecember 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

    I'm still reading the Hunger Games trilogy. But I loved The Hunger Games and the movie. I was determined to read the book before the movie came out. I can't believe you haven't read Harry Potter though. I don't think I know anyone that hasn't read Harry Potter. But you have a well rounded list there.


    Oh, I'm a purist too, it's a Harley or nothing. I might read that last one.


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize you hadn't read HP before. That must be amazing! I'm so jealous you're getting to read it for the first time.


    One of my favorite new authors this year was Miranda Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)December 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM

    A new Potter fan! Oh, I love it. I just adore Harry. And Hunger Games too? Welcome to the fandom. :) Harry and THG are series that I love to re-read when I want something familiar.

    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just stunned that you hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books until this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read J.K. Rowling either, but I am going but I have The Casual Vacancy to try. All the rest of these are new to me as well. I love the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quirky BookandFilmBuffDecember 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

    I never would have guessed you were into Harleys. :-) No Angel sounds fascinating to me. I'm off to add that to my list.

    http://eclecticbooksandmovies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes! I am very into Harleys. LOVE them. My boyfriend has 9 Harleys (not that he needs that many, but I digress). I am hoping to take a class at HD this spring to learn to drive them myself. I really, really liked No Angel. It's of course just one viewpoint from the eyes of an ATF but it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know. I don't know how I've managed to wait this long, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the fandom! Love it! lol I know I will re-read THG soon. I was less impressed with Mockingjay but I will still re-read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to look up Miranda Neville. So many authors to try out! Yes, HP and I got a late start, but sometimes you just can't rush into things. (Ok, this is like the one thing ever I didn't rush into. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another Harley purist! Love it! Yea, some guy tried to talk to me once and convince me Victory was just as good as Harley, if not better. I nearly laughed in his face.


    I think I am the last person in the world not to have read all the HP books. I think because I saw the movie first (quite by accident thanks to my college roomie) and I thought hey, not too bad, but then thought that would be enough. (As if the movie is ever going to match a book.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love variety. It helps keep me reading! I am glad to know I am not the only other person in the world who hasn't read HP. That makes me feel better! lol I haven't had much interest in The Casual Vacancy, although I hear it is very good. It will probably be another of those I get into after the excitement around it cools off.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I read every single comment and try my best to reply to all of them. Thanks so much! You rock!! :)