December 18, 2012

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

I couldn't find my exact
copy online so I took a
pic myself.
The Count of Monte Cristo is actually based off of an old police report Dumas had read about a shoemaker who had been wrongfully imprisoned, made friends with a preacher, and then spent his life seeking vengeance against the people who had wronged him.  

I first read this classic back in 2006.  I actually read it after I watched the film with Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, and Henry Cavill.  I loved the movie, so the book had to be read.  I was immediately taken with the book, even though I discovered that Dumas wrote a much more complex story and that a lot had been changed for the movie.  But, like any true reader will tell you, the book is better. :)  I like reading about characters such as Valentine de Villefort, Peppino and Haydee, whom are left out of the movie, and I like that Edmond's father, Louis Dantes, plays a bigger role in the book.  


Alexandre Dumas
So when I saw that Andi and Heather were hosting a read-a-long I immediately signed up.  I can count the number of times I have re-read a book as an adult on ONE HAND.  Seriously.  So when I choose to re-read a 500-page book again, you know it is a good read.   I mean, it is Alexandre Dumas.  It is full of adventure, suspense, revenge, hope, and a love story of epic proportions.  Dumas writes the classic tale of a man wrestling with good and evil is so brilliantly that back when he first wrote it people went in search of the fabled Chateau d'If, believing it to be real.  

If you have not read The Count of Monte Cristo, I can't make you read it, but, come on, YOU GOTTA READ IT!  It can be an intimidating chunkster of a book, but you won't be disappointed.  Give it a try, at least.  You will be glad you did.  

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"In the same way as Villefort's chambers communicated with the law courts, the law courts communicated with the prison, that sombre edifice overlooking the clock-tower of Accoules.  They wound their way along the passage and at last they came to a door; the commissary knocked on it thrice with an iron knocker, and it seemed to Dantes as if each blow had been aimed at his heart."

"It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live."




13 comments:

  1. I really loved The Count of Monte Cristo too. But it's too long for me to try again!

    http://rachelreadingnthinking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fly through it, though! It's def worth re-reading. I found all kinds of details I had forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book before seeing the movie and was appalled at the ending! The film's was WRONG! I really want to reread this since my first time I accidentally read an abridged version. Hope others decide to give this a try after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book in high school and was shocked by how much I loved it. The movie is actually pretty good at capturing the spirit of the book, I think, but I did miss the mysterious Haydee. She was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I like the way the movie ended off, too. But the book is better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a thing by the screenwriter who said that people were mad at him for that, but he was wanting to make it into a movie not re-create the book. He said if you want the story in the book, read the book it is a very good book. What do you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not someone who thinks movies have to be word for word recreations of the book but I thought that ending was just TOO different and too far away from Dumas' original intent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this book, though I haven't read it in years. I think you should read the new biography of Dumas' father, The Black Count. I never knew the author based the character off his own father. The bio is one of my favorite books of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had not heard of The Black Count. That is very interesting! Did you review it? I missed it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this book for the first time last year and LOVED it!! Despite the length, I never felt a dull moment and thought it was a complete page-turner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just saw your comment over on The Estella Society and wrote a response myself about the fabulous book by Tom Reiss Black Count, which I read and reviewed last year. It's a relatively easy read and a whole third of the book contains the bibliography, a warnng as I was shocked reading it on an e-reader when it suddenly came to an end at 66%. A must for Dumas fans absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished it - loved it! I agree, this was definitely a page turner. I am having such a great time reading "classics" and finding out how much fun they are. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!