Tif from Tif Talks Books is here to share the last holiday guest post of the Extravaganza with us! She knows how to do it, right, too. She has brought out the big guns and brought us recipes of yummy, yummy snacks and instead of pairing them with wine, she paired them with books! I told ya. Big guns. Be sure to let Tif know how much you appreciate that by leaving her a comment!
SEASONAL SETS: BOOKS & BAKED TREATS
We can all be honest with ourselves. Though this time of year is to celebrate family, giving, religious beliefs, etc., we all secretly love the sweet treats that come along with the season. But, who really has the time to make all these goodies amongst shopping, parties, cleaning the house before family arrives, and all those other scheduled and unscheduled events that appear on the calendar? Let me share a few not-so-secret recipes to help in easing the time commitment. And, for an extra added bonus, I leave you with a book recommendation with each for those last minute gifts that you still have to buy.
Seasonal Set #1: Chocolate x 2
White Chocolate Popcorn is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, and a hit wherever it goes! If you are in need of a quick treat, this one is perfect as it takes no more than 15 minutes in all!
· 2 bags Microwave Popcorn
· 1 Bag White Chocolate Chips
· (Optional) Sprinkles
1. Follow the directions on the bag of microwave popcorn and pour the popped corn into a large bowl.
2. Melt the white chocolate chips either on the stovetop or in the microwave. I typically use the latter, checking and stirring the chips every 20 seconds.
3. Pour the melted chips over the top of the popped corn and stir until thoroughly coated. Add a generous dose of sprinkles for a little extra festive color.
4. Wait until the chocolate hardens before serving for the best tasting results. You can speed the drying process by putting it in the fridge for a short time.
Book Pair: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is a favorite in our household and a classic around the world! Charlie, a young boy, goes on the adventure of his life through Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. He experiences first-hand the goodness of sweets from a chocolate waterfall and river to lick-able wall paper and so much more! You cannot ask for a better combination of sweet and crazy to combine with your sweet and salty!
Seasonal Set #2: Sticky Situations
Gooey Chex Mix is beyond delicious, but a sticky sweet treat that needs to be accompanied by napkins or even wet wipes! The mess is completely worth it though!
· 1 Stick Butter
· ½ Cup Corn Syrup
· ½ Cup White Sugar
· 3 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
· 3 Cups Golden Grahams
· ½ Cup Coconut Flakes
1. In a saucepan, melt butter, corn syrup, and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine Chex, Golden Grahams, and coconut.
3. Add the boiling combination to the cereal and mix until it covers all the cereal.
4. Dump it on a sheet of tin foil to cool.
Book Pair: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett shares the story of Chewandswallow, a small town that has no grocery stores because they get all their food from the sky. When the food weather gets a little messy, including pancakes and syrup all over the school, residents admit they are in a very sticky situation and something must be done to survive.
Seasonal Set #3: Stands the Test of Time
Turtles have never been easier to make! There is no need to spend hours on these tasty treats when you only need 15-20 minutes to get the perfect combination of goodness.
· Pretzels (mini twists or squares are best)
· Bag of Rolo Candies
· Topping of Choice: M&M’s, Almonds, Pecans
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with the pretzels.
3. Place a Rolo candy on top of each pretzel.
4. Bake for 4-5 minutes.
5. While the candy is still warm, place the topping of choice on top of each Rolo candy, pressing down slightly. My personal favorite is M&M’s in festive colors or almonds.
Book Pair: A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness are the first two books in the All Souls Trilogy. The story gives you the unexpected ingredients of a witch and vampire pairing, with the second book adding time travel and an historical angle that provides so much depth to the story as a whole. These easy turtle treats are not only super yummy, but they will help you free up more time to snuggle up with these great books!