December 9, 2012

Blog Tour: Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George


Summary: When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse.

The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood come together as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.

REVIEW:  When I requested Princess of the Silver Woods from Net Galley, I did not know it was the third in a series.  Honestly, the publishers really should have stated this.  One trip to Jessica Day George's website shows that the book is not listed at all, making it seem like a brand new stand alone book.  

Now in many ways it can stand alone-- this book is about Petunia while the previous two were about her sisters, and the Red Riding Hood/Robin Hood re-tellings are specific to this installment.  However, I found it challenging to evoke any feelings of empathy for Petunia when I don't understand much about her or her sisters' histories.  Bits and pieces are explained along the way that refer back to the previous stories, but a lot is still contingent on knowing the previous stories.  I spent a little too much time lost as to what was going on, as oppose to lost in the story itself.

So overall, I feel knowing more of the background would have made the story more enjoyable, but I liked the plot enough to go back and look for the first in the series, Princess of the Midnight Ball, and read them through.  I think she has a good series on her hands and I love the fairy-tale retelling mix and match.



JESSICA DAY GEORGE is the author of Princess of Glass and Princess of the Midnight Ball as well as three novels in the Dragon Slippers series, and Tuesdays at the Castle. Originally from Idaho, she studied at Brigham Young University and was a movie store clerk, a bookseller, and a school office lady before becoming a writer.
Visit her website at www.jessicadaygeorge.com

3 comments:

  1. Interesting sounding book (though I'm weary of re-tellings this twist sounds inventive). Good point about the series. Is the pacing strong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)December 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

    I hate it when you start a book not knowing it's a series. That's one of my big pet peeves with publishers and book tours.

    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was disappointed! I wish it had said that. I want to start at the beginning. I think I will end up liking the series.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I read every single comment and try my best to reply to all of them. Thanks so much! You rock!! :)