November 21, 2012

What Do You Think...of Book Trailers? Influential?



What Do You Think?  is a new feature on Lost in Books.  Each week I will pose a question on a literary topic, quote, or the like.  Just share your opinions in the comments!  All opinions are welcomed and encouraged! :)


This week:


What do you think of book trailers?  Do they influence your decision to buy a book?  What do you look for in a book trailer?   Share in the comments!






What I Think:
Personally, I have yet to see a book trailer I could make it all the way through.  They just don't do anything for me, and most of them are bloody awful.  I usually skip over any reference to or link to or embedded video of a book trailer because I have actually been dissuaded from reading a book from the trailer- a book I was really very interested in.  If you know any good ones, I will give it a try but so far, book trailers have been a zero for me.


Previous topics:

11-5-2012 Novellas Inserted into Series10-31-2012 Favorite Settings 
10-23-2012 What Makes a Good Narrator 
10-16-2012 Topics Lacking in Books
10-8-2012  Oscar Wilde Quote

12 comments:

  1. bermudaonion(Kathy)November 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

    I enjoy a book trailer that gives me a little teaser about the book. Quite often, they're too long so I get why you can't get through them. I don't think any of them have influenced me to buy a book but I do enjoy some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually not a fan of book trailers because I would rather just read the description. BUT, Catherynne Valente's book trailer for The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and the sequel are fabulous!! Original artwork is used and music is my SJ Tucker, who writes specifically for Valente's work! Those I can watch and listen to all day long!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky (Page Turners)November 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

    Book trailers do absolutely nothing for me either. In fact I make a point of not watching them as much as possible (sometimes I can't help myself). Theyre just not necessary! It's a book, not a movie. Compleltely unnecessary mixing of the genres if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't watch a lot of book trailers, and when I do I usually I only watch it after I read the book. A lot of them are WAY too long. I have seen some good ones, though--there was one where the author had his family read bad reviews of his book that was hilarious. And the trailer for Leviathan was pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)November 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

    I don't do book trailers. There's really no point and I agree that most of them are awful. At least most of the ones that ended up on my radar have been. I just don't bother. I'd rather read a review any day. 2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to check out those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I don't really get the point of them, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure. But NO trailer, book or movie, should be longer than 2 minutes. I'm looking at you, Hobbit trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't generally watch them unless I stumble across one on someone else's blog or while I am researching for my book review. Most would not make me want to buy a book, but for me a cute "extras"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Usually I only watch the trailers for books I already love or am already anticipating. There has only been one that has influenced me to read a book and that was the trailer for Simone Elkeles' "Perfect Chemistry." Otherwise I usually just ignore them.



    -Melly
    www.beautyandthearmageddon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Usually I only watch the trailers for books I already love or am
    already anticipating. There has only been one that has influenced me to
    read a book and that was the trailer for Simone Elkeles' "Perfect
    Chemistry." Otherwise I usually just ignore them.

    http://youtu.be/hr0OtYYpyek


    -Melly
    www.beautyandthearmageddon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!