November 1, 2012

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley



"My most vivid memories consistently jog my brain with the recollection of how things tasted.  I'm lucky to have grown up with cooks and bakers, eaters and critics, and meals to remember.  My memories were formed in conjunction with my palate, collected along with photographs of shared meals from my childhood."


So begins the story of artist and foodie Lucy Knisley.  Instead of cupcakes for her birthdays at school, her mom brought out the blowtorch and fixed her class creme brulee.  

When other kids were playing with dinosaurs and dolls, Lucy was learning to shuck oysters with precision and learn the fine art of making homemade chocolate chip cookies in order to make new friends.  While I grew up on macaroni and cheese, hamburgers, cereal, and canned vegetables, Lucy ate poached salmon, duck confit, huevos rancheros, and fattened goose liver.   In fact, when she found out about junk food, it was like a guilty pleasure that her parents never quite understood.

Lucy's graphic memoir is full of juicy and witty stories about growing up in the culinary world.  I recommend you give Relish a try and see if it doesn't satisfy your craving for a good, fun, turn-paging book.



8 comments:

  1. bermudaonion(Kathy)November 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM

    I've got to get this book! I loved French Milk by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like my house growing up. Not that my family were foodies, they were just immigrants who didn't understand things like "chips" or "macaroni and cheese." Or pie for that matter. I still don't eat much junk food, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize your parents were immigrants, Tasha. Where from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not realize she had other books! I need to get French Milk! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly (2 Kids and Tired)November 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

    I'm not usually big on graphic novels, but this one sounds delightful. I haven't read this author before and I'm a sucker for any book that involves cooking and food!
    2 Kids and Tired Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say it also includes recipes! How could I forget that part? With illustrations. It's pretty cute. I haven't tried any yet but they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Germany, but it's just on my mom's side.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!