November 22, 2012

Cleopatra Ascending by Maureen Lipinski



SUMMARYDespite living with a shaman, a witch, and a muse for sisters, Rhea Spencer feels like a normal teenager-even if she is the reincarnation of Cleopatra. But all that changes on Rhea's sixteenth birthday, when her visions of the Egyptian queen start unraveling a very different version of history, and Declan, a hot representative of the secret Order of Antony, shows up on the doorstep to keep her from being kidnapped. Together, Rhea and Declan travel to Egypt to stop the Octavians, a dark cabal trying to tap into Rhea's growing powers. The cabal seeks to access the magic deep below the desert sands, a potentially devastating force that only Rhea can protect.


REVIEW: Lipinski has written a wonderfully re-imagined tale of Cleopatra as a reincarnated teenager whose life is in mortal danger.  I am a big fan of Ancient Egypt and this book with the modern twist was no exception.  

I immediately liked Rhea.  She was a little immature, but hey, she is sixteen.  She comes into her own though and that is what truly makes someone's character in the end.  I also liked that Rhea came from a family with varied special powers.  It made it interesting.  

I did not even know this was the second book in the Shadow's Edge series.  It completely stood on its own two feet.  I will definitely be checking out the first book, as well.  I completely recommend this book, especially if you are into Egyptology.  It is compulsively readable.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. I will keep my eye out for it. But might read book 1 first. I cant handle not reading them in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I do love Egyptology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Egyptology too! I haven't read book one, so I will need to start there. I read anything and everything that has to do with ancient Egypt. My all time favorite book is called, Shadow of the Sun by author Merrie P. Wycoff. This is historical fiction novel that showcases the mysticism/paranormal
    aspects of
    ancient Egypt. The author has thoroughly researched the topic and
    brings the reader back to Egypt during the time of the ancient Egyptian
    Royal Court. Reveals the treachery, political intrigue and religious strife of the 18th Dynasty in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I read every single comment and try my best to reply to all of them. Thanks so much! You rock!! :)