November 2, 2012

Bookish Discoveries for the Week of 10-25-12



Bookish Discoveries 

First, I just want to say I hope everyone is safe after Hurricane Sandy and Frankenstorm.  I had to come home early from my trip to D.C. to visit my sister and brother-in-law because trains were being canceled, but it was a small price to pay.  Turns out they were okay and I hope everyone else along the east coast was, as well.  We only received a lot of wind and rain here in N.C.  I've been thinking of y'all who were in the path!  

Now, on to something to take our minds off the freakish weather...


Bookish News 



1. NaNoWriMo kicked off yesterday and for the first time I am taking part!  I'm so excited!  If you want to take part in the festivities, sign up!  And be sure to friend me on there so we can follow along on each other's progress. :)

2. Is anyone NOT talking about the Penguin/Random House merger?  Publishing Perspectives, Share Your Reaction with Publishing World, The Book Faery, The Biblio Blogazine

3. Goodreads Choice Awards 2012 is now open to Opening Round Voting!  One thing I noticed is that I have sorely fallen behind in reading new releases as I could barely vote in any of the categories, as I haven't read enough new books this year.  That's what happens when you are on a book-buying ban, I suppose.  I have gotten a few e-books from Net Galley but that only took me so far, as most were in the same categories.  Hope you can do better than me!  

4. I LOVE this post about how the literary community extends beyond writers and readers to include graphic designers, artists, and illustrators.


5. Nicholas Sparks gets into TV now with three, count 'em 3, cable dramas.



Blogger Posts Worth Reading
(a.k.a. You are drowning me in TBR)


1. I love the review of Murder in Memoriam by Didier Daeninckx at Ready When You Are, C.B.  

2. I had a little too much fun signing up for giveaways at the YA Mythology Giveaway Hop.  Starcrossed, The Goddess Test series, Touch of Frost, Covenant Series, The Iron King, The Raven Boys, Poseidon, the list goes on.    There is also a Dystopian Giveaway Hop happening right now, hosted by My Shelf Confessions, and if you don't think I will be signing up for every dystopian book I can get my hands on, you are crazy mistaken.


3.  I am participating in The Count of Monte Cristo Readalong @ The Estella Society.  This is one of my favorite books and I have not read it in a while so I am very excited!

4. I love Caspette's review of Bloodsong by Rhiannon Hart.  Yet another book to add to the TBR!

5. The YA Fantasy Novel, Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch looks interesting as laid out in the review by Ella Readz.

6. Another book for the TBR thanks to Devourer of Books and The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro.

7. Ana's post on Fanpire by Tanya Erzen and the cultural phenomenon that is Twilight fandom and messages sent to young women is a topic all of us should be considering.  I am not a Bella fan- never was, never will be- because, to me, she represents everything that is wrong with our culture's message to girls--we cannot function without a guy.  Which is so not true!  Read Ana's post, Erzen's book, and see where your own opinions fall.

8. Rebecca shares her post from Book Riot in which she addresses the issue some book lovers have with book art. 


7 comments:

  1. I need to avoid these posts as I'm already behind in my Internet reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm never familiar with any of the books in the GoodReads Choice awards. I know I read a lot of old books, but come on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you and your family are okay! Best of luck on NaNo this year! I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tif! I am doing really badly at NaNo right now, lol. I did really great first day and then I had 2 busy days with no writing. Need to make up for it today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tasha :)


    I usually know at least 2 or 3 books, but this year I was like what ARE these? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol I feel perpetually behind in my internet reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So here is the thing, had a look at the good reads nominations, great, awesome....haven't read a single one. They are either books I have marked to read (like Cinder) or the next book in a series and I haven't gotten to it yet argh. So guess I wont be voting this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!