October 23, 2012

What Do You Think...Makes a Good Narrator?



What Do You Think?  is a new feature on Lost in Books.  Each week I will pose a question on a literary topic, quote, or the like.  Just share your opinions in the comments!  All opinions are welcomed and encouraged! :)


This week:


What makes a good audiobook narrator?  Who are your favorite narrators?  And, how much of your enjoyment of the storyline determines how well you like the narrator?



Previous topics:
10-16-2012 Topics Lacking in Books
10-8-2012  Oscar Wilde Quote

6 comments:

  1. Jim Dale is by far my favorite narrator! His ability to bring life to his words is absolutely amazing and he has a different "voice" for each character. Simply brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bermudaonion(Kathy)October 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM

    I want it to sound like they're telling me a story and not reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I have heard some monotone narrators I cannot for the life of me figure out how they landed the jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to look for books he reads! Thanks for the rec, Tif!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone who doesn't sound like they are reading but are really presenting the characters and the story. Someone whose voice you can listen to for long stretches of time. Someone who can "do" different voices for different characters. Someone who has some "color" to their voice but without it being distracting. As far as favorites, I'm not sure I've listened to too many by the same person but I know books I've loved because the narrator was so good. Hope Davis springs to mind though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mostly get my audiobooks free from Librivox. My favorite narrator on there is Ralph Snelson.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!