October 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Kick-Ass Heroines


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is ten books that feature kick-ass heroines.



1. Katniss Everdeen of The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins- Katniss takes care of her younger sister, Prim, and her depressed mother, following the death of her father when she was 11.  She does the hunting, feeds her family, and tends to Prim, as they live in abject poverty. When her sister's name gets drawn to participate in the Capitol's fight to the death, Katniss, at 16 years old, volunteers to take her place.  




2. Adah Price of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver- Born with a physical disability and mute, Adah does not let that deter her spirit, her intelligence, or her resolve, even when her family moves to 1960s Congo.  Adah was my favorite character in the book.



3. Lisbeth Salander of The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson- This girl has been through hell and back and has come out on the other side as a bad-ass, take-no-prisoners, uber-intelligent, hacker-extraordinaire who helps solve violent crimes.  






4. Elizabeth Bennet of Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen- She was a thoroughly independent woman, especially for her time.  She was able to admit her flaws and was also able to stand up for what she believed in.  She found love, but only after she was absolutely sure that it- and he- was what she wanted.  



5. Max of The Maximum Ride Novels by James Patterson- Max and five of her friends are the result of avian-human DNA experiments done by scientists.  The scientists kept them locked in cages in a lab their entire lives so they can continue to run more experiments on them.  When they finally break free, Max, at only 14 years old, grows up quickly and keeps the flock together and alive all while they are being chased by the very people they escaped from.



6. Hermione Granger of Harry Potter Novels by J.K. Rowling- She made reading books, learning new things, and being the smart kid in school wickedly cool.  She also showed girls that courage is not just for the boys.  Later, she made it crystal clear that brains, courage, and beauty can go together- and taught us what a lethal combination it can be.  Never coast along on your looks alone, girls. 





7. Nefertari of The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran- Nefertari is the niece of Queen Nefertiti and the only living descendant of the family that Egypt has now deemed heretical.  She grows up running wild in the palace, a relic of an old era, until the aunt of the Pharaoh decides to take her under her wing. She educates Nefertari like a queen, which gets her noticed by the Crown Prince.  However, its going to take more than education and the notice of the Prince to make Egypt treat her like a queen. Nefertari has to rise up against the pressures and the skepticism of the people to become the Queen of her destiny.


8. Jo March of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott- She rebelled against being just another domestic housewife and instead pursued her passions of reading and writing.  She found love, but only after she went after making herself happy first.  








9. Bess Steed Armstrong of A Woman of Independent Means by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey- Bess is a woman living in the early 1900s who inherits some money, allowing herself to be a woman of independent means, and giving her the freedom to live life on her own terms.  Through a series of letters, Bess shows that through love, marriage, motherhood, friendship, and loss, she will always call upon her strength, courage and indomitable spirit.  This is a book every woman should read.

10. Celie of The Color Purple by Alice Walker- Celie's story starts at the age of 14 when she was abused and raped by her Pa.  Celie attempts to protect her sister, Nettie, from the same fate.  She is forced into a marriage to "Mister", which is full of submission and violence and more rape.  Celie finds role models in a few women friends and finally has a courageous spiritual and emotional awakening and breakthrough that will make you believe in overcoming even the most insurmountable obstacles.




What is a favorite heroine of yours?  I would love to get recommendations!

11 comments:

  1. Jo!! I love that you included her. I read Little Women when I was 12 or so...I think it's time for a reread.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Li @ rulethewaves.netOctober 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM

    Great list! Elizabeth Bennet also made my list this week =)

    Here's my TTT for this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of Hermoine!! <3 she reminds me of me so much (if I wasn't too cool to actually raise my hand as much as I want to in class sometimes >.>) Great list :D

    Here's mine: TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cool that Hermione is on all the lists I've visited so far!

    TTT
    @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! We both put Michelle Moran's Nefertari ! Great minds! :D I wish I would have thought about some more of the classic heroines. Great list! :D My TTTs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. bermudaonion(Kathy)October 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM

    You put a lot of thought into your selections and have come up with some fabulous choices. I agree with every one I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your selections! I think your list is one of the most diverse I've seen (and I mean that in the sense of wide-ranging interests/genres/types of 'strong women'). I especially agree with #1, 4, 6 & 8 - but I have some reading to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisbeth Salander and Katniss are definitely kick-ass. I love Lisbeth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. I've seen quite a few of the same women on some of the other posts for this topic. There does seem to be consensus on this topic! Love that you included "photos."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome list! I'd forgotten about Bess Steed -- I really loved that book; I read it years ago.

    http://eclecticbooksandmovies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently read Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and would put her in there as a great heroine she was an amazing character. Also I adore Phyrne Fisher from the aussie cosy series er Phryne Fisher Murder Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!