October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books to Get Into the Halloween Spirit





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is ten books that get you in the Halloween spirit.  



Now, as many of you know, I am not a huge horror fan, but I do try to dabble in it around Halloween.  It has been difficult for me to get in the mood this year now that I am not teaching.  It was easy when a month leading up to it I got to read "scary" stories to the preschoolers and hear all about their costumes and have crafts for them to make, such as pumpkin satchels and popsicle ghosts and pipe cleaner spiders.  





However, I have decided this year that I am going to begin reading Dante's Inferno (okay, try once again) and watch a scary movie Halloween night in lieu of any parties (last year's trip to Myrtle Beach still haunts me with visions of drunken conduct with friends).  What are you doing for Halloween?  

Oh, and be sure to check out my (nearly) comprehensive list of Halloween reads from 2009.  Perhaps you will find a book to get you in a spooked mood, too.


(Note: I had to kind of stretch it here, dabbling into short stories.  I see the necessity of branching out.)


1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

2. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

3. Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell  (Review)

4. The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe

5. Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

6. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger 

7. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe

8. The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe

9. The Bottle Imp by Robert Louis Stevenson

10.  Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith 


Okay, so that was pathetic.  To make it up to you (and myself) I am going to also list top 10 scary movies.  Why I have seen more horror movies than read horror books is beyond me, since the visuals would make it more frightening, is beyond me.


The Ring

1. The Ring - almost peed in my pants several times. 

2. Zombieland - actually one of my favorite movies

3. The Silence of the Lambs - saw this when I was 11.  Two words: forever scarred. 

4. The Haunting - What happened in the fireplace was crazy.

5. Underworld - I am a fan of this trilogy.  It seems less scary and more just paranormal.

6. Psycho - a truly scary movie

7. Poltergeist - they're ba-ack!


The Exorcism of Emily Rose


8. The Exorcism of Emily Rose - made me glad I had not seen the original

9. Interview with the Vampire- my first vampire movie

10. Alien - I don't know which Alien I saw, but it was the one with the shower scene and I had to take baths for a week after watching it.


7 comments:

  1. Great lists!!! I am a huge fan of Poe, so I am glad to see so many listed there! As for movies, I love, love, love the Alien movies, but the second is my favorite I think. And, Zombieland is so good! I did not have high hopes for the movie, but it is one of the best I've seen in recent years!


    We usually try to watch some horror show around Halloween, though we have gotten away from it more the last couple of years now that the kids are older and the parents are even tired from trick or treating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you're classics-heavy on the reading list - I approve! All of those books are atmospheric. I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies quite a lot. Also love you film list - I'm not a horror fan, but I've seen a couple of those! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not consider how they are all atmospheric- but you are right. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Poe. I have read over half of his poems and short stories. I am looking to read more of them in the coming months. I used to read short stories a lot more than I have recently. Zombieland is amazing, right? Perfect blend of action, fantasy, paranormal, and humor if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate Halloween, so I'm going to do what always do--pretend it's not happening. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a dream last night that the grim reaper was outside my window in the mask from Scream, doing yardwork and frightening me. I am sooo not good at dealing with scariness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I am a fan of Zombieland and Psycho too, and I do love Edgar Allan Poe. Practical Magic is great too.

    http://eclecticbooksandmovies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!