October 26, 2012

Bookish Discoveries Friday (and All the Books You Make Me Add to the TBR)


Bookish Discoveries


1.I have begun Dante's Inferno this week before Halloween and I found the perfect site to help me along the way- Danteworlds, a multimedia representation journey of who and what appears where within the trilogy.  It includes artistic images, text commentary, and audio recordings.  It is such a wealthy resource I feel like I just scored!



2. In case you are unfamiliar with how Disney's happy endings were not always happy endings in the original stories, Cracked.com breaks it down.  Mowgli from The Jungle Book has the animals kill the entire village of people? I am thinking a Kipling re-read is in order.

3. Flavorwire delivers the book lover's ultimate top 10 book list - the book list of books about books!

4.  This might be old hat to some of you, but I just recently discovered a composite list of 100 University Libraries from Around the World that have public access- from Harvard and Yale to The University of Edinburgh and Copenhagen University.  There are also specialized libraries listed, from medical to religious.  I've been busy searching these all morning. :)

5. Interested in poetry??  PennSound, the poetry audio archive of the University of Pennsylvania, are streaming a marathon of Allen Ginsberg teaching poetry.


6. Publishing Perspectives talks about the big issues in Indian Publishing, namely that there are so many different Indian languages, and how "Indian-language publishing" and "English-language publishing" are dealing with the distribution of books into smaller villages.  Plus, with a rising middle-class, India is ahead of China in publishers' eyes, which I, of course, find as excellent news.


7. Cartoonist Kate Beaton makes literary classics comedic fun, including The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, and Dracula.




Blogger Posts Worth Reading
(a.k.a. You are drowning me in TBR)


1. I was impressed by the review of Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors by Hena Khan over at Rhapsody in Books.  I wish I was still teaching so I could read this to my students.   I had forgotten all about Muslim Heritage Month- I am glad to see not everyone is as forgetful as I am! 


2. A new-to-me book blog I like, Bookfever, got me interested in the historical fiction novel, In a Treacherous Court by Michelle Diener.  I love the cover of this book, too. 


3. I enjoyed reading what Peter @ KyusiReader has learned from book discussions. I like how the list is just simple and straight to the point!  What have you learned from book discussions?


4. A Reader's Adventure's review of Fathomless by Jackson Pearce made me wonder how I have gotten this far and not read Jackson Pearce.


5. Crewel by Gennifer Albin was put on my TBR list thanks to the review by Starry-Eyed Revue, which says, "Crewel is one of those books that starts and just never stops. It's a book that makes you think and ponder the possibilities until your head hurts. It also serves as a kind of cautionary tale."  But also the review by Princess Bookie, in which she said, "Probably one of the best books I read in August."  This is another book with a gorgeous cover.




6.  Author Suzanne Woods Fisher blogs about the Amish and their reading habits at 5 Minutes for Books.  


7.  Swapna's review of The Hiding Place by David Bell intrigued me and made me add it to the TBR list as well!  She said, "What David Bell does exceptionally well is maintain a heightened level of suspense from beginning to end in The Hiding Place. Every time it seems like the reader has an answer, Bell twists the story such that more questions pop up in its place. It makes for a great read and keeps the reader guessing from beginning to end. His writing style is very atmospheric and it makes the reader feel like there are secrets to be revealed at every turn."

8. I never knew I wanted  to read about the science of monsters until I read the review of Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite by Matt Kaplan @ Devourer of Books:  "Medusa’s Gaze and Vampire’s Bite is that most special of nonfiction books – the kind you don’t want to put down. Kaplan has wonderful style, as well as the ability to make his already interesting subject even more interesting."



What have you found interesting in the lit world this week?  Please share!


4 comments:

  1. Love it! This is a great roundup, and I have some links to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice lists, Rebecca! I didn't know you'd stopped teaching. What are you doing now?


    http://eclecticbooksandmovie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard about the vampire book on Science Friday today- it sounds so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can watch lectures from classes at Yale for free, too--great resource!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!