October 12, 2012

Around the World in 80 Books



Around the World in 80 Books Reading Challenge

This challenge is hosted by Stacey at Have Books, Will Travel.  You can sign up here.

Stacey says, "I'm off on a voyage of discovery as I travel around the world through the books that I read. With this challenge I hope to broaden my literary horizons and learn more about the cultures and life in other countries. I'll relive my wonderful memories of past travel destinations and prepare for future adventures. If you'd like to join me just grab your passport and a great book and we'll take off for places unknown! Bon Voyage!"

Stacey has her own rules for this challenge.  Here are mine, which I have tweaked from Stacey: 
  • I have three years to complete this challenge. My start date is October 11, 2012 and my end date will be October 12, 2015.  Stacey gave herself five years, but as I love to read books like this I am pretty sure I can get it done in 3 (fingers crossed!).  That will put me at an average of roughly 26 books a year for this challenge.  I read anywhere from 50 to 80 books a year on average so this should be doable.
  • I'm choosing my books that take place in a particular country, therefore it does not matter to me what country the author is from. If a book takes place in multiple countries then I will count it towards the country that it is mostly set in. 
  • In addition to reading a book set in a particular country, I will also do some research on that country and will include some "Fun Facts " about the country along with each book review.
  • I will read both fiction and nonfiction selections, but I am not going to choose how many of each.  
  • As part of the reviews, I will include links to my Take Me Away posts, if I have featured the country so far.  I have also started these posts back up again, starting tomorrow!
  • I am not going to pre-select my books, although I am going to preselect because I know I want to read books set in these countries. I may change one or two, depending on availability of books, but this is what I would like to read.   I will keep the full list here.


My Book List:

  1.  AFGHANISTAN - The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad (October 2012)
  2.  ANTIGUA: Oh, Gad!: A Novel by Joanne C. Hillhouse (September 2013)
  3.  AUSTRALIA
  4.  BANGLADESH
  5.  BELGIUM
  6.  BRAZIL
  7.  CANADA
  8.  CHILE
  9.  CHINA
  10.  COLOMBIA
  11.  CONGO
  12.  COSTA RICA
  13.  CUBA: The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist by Margarita Engle (April 2013)
  14.  CZECH REPUBLIC
  15.  DENMARK
  16.  DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
  17.  ECUADOR
  18.  EGYPT:  Cleopatra Ascending by Maureen Lipinski (November 2012)
  19.  EL SALVADOR
  20.  ENGLAND: A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (February 2013)
  21.  ETHIOPIA
  22.  FINLAND
  23.  FRANCE: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (December 2012)
  24.  GERMANY
  25.  GREECE
  26.  GUATEMALA
  27.  HAITI
  28.  HUNGARY
  29.  ICELAND
  30.  INDIA:  Little Women in India by Jane Nartin (December 2012)
  31.  INDONESIA
  32.  IRAQ
  33.  IRELAND
  34.  ISRAEL
  35.  ITALY
  36.  IVORY COAST
  37.  JAMAICA 
  38.  JAPAN: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (April 2013)
  39.  KENYA
  40.  KOREA, NORTH
  41.  KOREA, SOUTH
  42.  LIBYA
  43.  MALTA
  44.  MEXICO
  45.  MONGOLIA
  46.  MOROCCO
  47.  MOZAMBIQUE
  48.  MYANMAR (formally Burma)
  49.  NAMIBIA
  50.  NETHERLANDS
  51.  NEPAL
  52.  NEW ZEALAND 
  53.  NIGERIA
  54.  NORTH IRELAND
  55.  NORWAY
  56.  PAKISTAN
  57.  PANAMA
  58.  PERU
  59.  PHILIPPINES 
  60.  POLAND: Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz (April 2013)
  61.  PORTUGAL
  62.  ROMANIA
  63.  RUSSIA
  64.  RWANDA
  65.  SAUDI ARABIA
  66.  SCOTLAND
  67.  SIERRA LEONE
  68.  SPAIN
  69.  SRI LANKA
  70.  SOUTH AFRICA
  71.  SUDAN
  72.  SWEDEN
  73.  SWITZERLAND
  74.  THAILAND
  75.  TURKEY
  76.  UGANDA
  77.  UKRAINE
  78.  VATICAN CITY
  79.  VENEZUELA
  80.  VIETNAM
  

5 comments:

  1. bermudaonion(Kathy)October 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

    I think you can get it done too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your around the world feature back in the day, and I think you'll knock this challenge out of the ballpark! :)

    http://eclecticbooksandmovies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Look for the feature coming back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am embarking on this Around the World Challenge as well. Look forward to what you select and seeing where all your journey takes you. I have been to Dominican Republic already with The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and am now in Nazi-era Germany with Death as a narrator (The Book Thief). Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!